23. Dye Hard

Harley and Ivy were currently in the mall locked in a heated discussion.

"Harley We have talked about this. We cannot do this. We said that we weren't gonna do it and then we did it again." Ivy says to her.

"Wait, why can't we do this?" Harley asks her. 

"Because... you're my best friend, and I can't stand the idea of losing you. You know? I..." 

"You don't have to." Harley says to her. "We'd be closer than we've ever been before. Well, not closer than the other night,  I mean, that was crazy."

"Yeah, that was fucking crazy." Ivy comments. 

"But Ive don't you and Y/n want to feel this way all the time? Our whole lives could be going around the world saving nature, partying, getting free stuff. It would be so fun! I love you guys. Just think about it, okay?" 

"Harls that weekend was so special. Amazing, really. And you're right, that we have had these high highs together. But..." Ivy sighs now. "Harley, you run from one thing to the next, and at some point that's gonna be me or Y/n. And the truth is, I trust you with my life, but I don't trust you with my heart. So, I... I'm not sure I can do this." Ivy admits to Harley who looks devastated. "I'm sorry Harley." Ivy says walking past Harley looking sad herself. The idea had appealed to Ivy but her unwillingness to get hurt was proving to difficult to look past. Ivy walks past Harley now as she walks out of the mall.

Harley could now hear an ongoing conversation getting closer  

"How can he call himself Batman if he's not part bat? He's just a dude who dresses up like a bat. That's animal appropriation." King Shark says.

"Hey, everybody!" Harley says as she wipes her tears away now and turns around with a sad grin. "How was Freeze's bachelor party?" She asks King Shark and Clayface. 

"I got married and saved the Oceanic Trade Federation. Other than that, pretty chill." King Shark answers. 

"How was Nora's bachelorette bash?" Clayface asks.

"It was great. It was so great. Emotionally low stakes, you know. I had a great time. Ivy had a great time. We slept in separate beds... Normal bachelorette stuff. So, yeah... Well, hey! I'm just, I'm ready to keep the party going! Who wants to get a drink with me? One or two? Or a few drinks? Or a lot of drinks? Drink so much we forget the last 48 hours or maybe more?" Harley asks. 

"Oh. I'd love to but I gotta be with my wife, Tabitha. Sunday's are big at her family. They are very religious." King Shark says.

"What about you, Clayface?" Harley asks him.

"I, too, am spending this evening with a paramour. His name is Tony. And he's the only award show that matters." Clayface informs her as they give Harley a wave before leaving the mall. 

"Okay, have fun, guys..." Harley says sounding disappointed. Harley sighs as she takes out her phone and looks at it the screensaver that was a picture of herself, Ivy and Y/n. 

At that moment Sy in his wheelchair rolls in as he notices Harley's sour mood. "A landlord always knows two things." He starts. "When an oven's busted, 'cause ya can't charge rent without a working oven... " He chuckles at his joke. "And when a tenant's blue. So, spill it, hon, or I could get my torture kit?" 

"It's just, everybody's got somebody special in their lives, except me..." Harley admits now.

 "So what? You don't need a lover to be happy. Do the thing that makes you happy. Life is about feeding your soul!" Sy tells her.