09 | seashell necklaces

Shoto frowns as he enters the shared cabin, alone once again

Shoto frowns as he enters the shared cabin, alone once again. Katsuki doesn't exactly say he's staying over, because he reminds Shoto that he gets the bed tonight, but Shoto assumes he won't be back until he knows the other is asleep. "Now he's just ignoring me."

The two toned male sets his bag on the counter, taking out the seashells he found while they were out snorkeling. He had asked Ate if he could take before he even touched them, just to make sure it was okay. She was more than happy to let Shoto take a few seashells.

The reason he wanted to take them is because he saw Katsuki looking at them. He did feel bad for arguing over Katsuki with Eijiro- especially because all he needs know is confirmation that they're in love- so he wants to apologize.

"I'm apologizing too much," Shoto tells himself. "Katsuki just needs to not be so sensitive over everything, God."

Shoto sets the small seashells on the counter with some thread and beads. First, he makes sure the thread is long enough to go around Katsuki's neck. Then, he snips it from the spool, taping one side against the table.

Starting from the end of his overall idea, he places three red beds together, then three white beads, then a red seashell. What is his plan? To show Katsuki that currently, he's Shoto's and Shoto is his.

Exactly, the thought is very contradictory to the vibe Shoto usually gives Katsuki. He doesn't know why he hates the closeness of the relationship between Katsuki and Eijiro, but it sort of irritates him.

"Just make the necklace," Shoto tells himself. "Just make the necklace, and chill out."

To help him "chill out", Shoto plays some music. Growing up, he was forced to listen to classical music because that was the music played at galas and balls. It was so he didn't feel annoyed listening to violin strings vibrating with cellos, or pianos hitting the same keys over and over.

Now'a'days, he prefers to listen to the music he wasn't allowed to: literally everything else. His had an odd playlist of rap and pop and some indie and quite a bit of hard rock, screamo. It isn't a playlist he shares with anyone else, just something he keeps privately.

Shoto finishes his seashell necklace, prepared to give it to Katsuki. He feels a strange sense of proud and happiness looking at his masterpiece. "Now I have to wait."

"Wait for what?" Katsuki asks, appearing behind Shoto, glancing over his shoulder. "Oh, hey. That's a nice necklace."

"Thank you. I-" Shoto turns around and notices the seashell necklace already Katsuki's necklace. "Where'd you get that?"

"Oh this?" Katsuki asks and Shoto can't help by notice the blush that makes his red ears a bit more red. "Eijiro made it for me. Isn't it beautiful?"

The more Shoto looks at the necklace hanging onto Katsuki's pale neck, the more angry he gets. It's beautiful with blues and purples and green. There is even a inscription of a K on the large seashell in the middle.

Jealousy. That's what Shoto feels. Absolute jealousy. Eijiro knows they're engaged! Why is he doing this? "It's a very nice necklace, Bakugo."

"Who is that one for?" He asks curiously, reaching for it.

"Don't touch!" Shoto says quite harshly, yanking Katsuki's hand away. Katsuki's eyes look fearful for a split second, but then there is a hard gaze. "S-Sorry."

"It's fine," Katsuki responds coldly. "I don't care about the stupid necklace. It-It's not even that nice. I'm taking a shower, and I get the bed tonight."

Hurt. He's hurt Katsuki. "Damn, how in the world did I mess that up?" Shoto chides himself. "All you had to do was tell him the necklace was also for him, dumbass."

He sighs, grabbing his necklace and stepping by outside the cabin. He doesn't know where to go or who to talk to. None of his friends are that good at advice. Maybe Izuku, but he takes to long to get to the point.

"Todoroki?"

Shoto looks down the road, where Mina is standing, holding a drink. "H-Hey."

She furrows her brows. "I'm going for a walk. Wanna join?"

Shoto nods, his shell necklace in his hand. They walk along the shoreline, looking at different people they happen to pass.

"That necklace is for Katsuki, right?" Mina asks, finishing her drink.

"I-It was." Shoto holds the necklace up for her to see. "I accidentally told him- quite aggressively- not to touch it, so I don't think he wants it anymore."

"Did he get all salty? Insult your necklace perhaps?"

"He did."

"Because he really wanted it, but you told him no." Mina laughs quietly. "He's always been like that."

"Is that how that works?" Shoto whispers to himself.

"Come sit with me on this bench." The two sit, facing the sea. "Now, don't lie to me, Todoroki. This relationship isn't like what you told the media, is it? You and Katsuki haven't been secretly dating for two years, have you?"

Shoto chuckles without humor. "You're smart, Ashido."

"No, you two are just bad actors."

"Hey!" And Mina laughs.

"In truth, I just met Katsuki... I think it's been two days. This is an arranged marriage. We didn't have much say." Shoto fiddles with the necklace he made, twirling the beads around and around, toes kicking the sand.

"That sucks," Mina sighs. "But, Katsuki is really the sweetest when he lets you in. And I'm being honest when I tell you I think you two would make a good match."

"Thanks."

"Now, when you get back, you're going to write a letter and give Katsuki the necklace," Mina tells him, still facing the sea. "Shoto, don't worry about Eijiro. I'll talk to him."

"I'm pretty sure he knows it's arranged," Shoto admits. "Maybe... maybe he thinks if he can pull us apart completely, it'll work out in his best interest. Maybe he's doing it for Katsuki, considering they're in love."

"Eijiro told me they stopped three months ago," Mina whispers to herself, but Shoto hears her.

"Stopped what?"

"Not my story to tell," Mina says quickly. Too quickly. Shoto has already pieced together she's hiding something for Katsuki, which reminds him Izuku is doing the same thing. "Just make sure you get him the necklace, okay?"

And with that, she leaves. Shoto sits a little longer to think.

What in the world is Katsuki Bakugo hiding?

i want someone to make me a seashell necklace 😔

- tia