Chapter 3: The Incident

Korra started to explain what happened that night when Mako and Bolin died. She was going to tell Asami everything that happened and why she blames herself for the cause of their deaths. As she spills the beans, Korra starts having a flashback on that unfaithful evening.

It was dark that night and Mako, Korra, and Bolin had finally found clues as to where the leaders of the Iron Bloods were located. Looking down at an alleyway, Korra got a tip-off from the locals that there was a couple of Iron Bloods who were seen walking down a basement underneath a local food mart. Korra wanted to investigate further, but Mako suggested they wait for the authorities to arrive. Even with this plea, Korra ignored Mako, being confident and trusting her own instinct in stopping the infamous cult.

Mako didn't like going in without any reinforcements as they knew almost nothing about this group nor the layouts of their supposed lair. Trusting the Avatar, however, Mako and Bolin decide to follow Korra's lead and head down the basement. As they enter, they begin to realize how enormous the hideaway was. The area was almost 10,000 cubic yards with loads of machinery, and members in robes walking around the vicinity. Thousands of Iron Bloods huddled around a stage as one member dragged a group of beaten citizens upfront.

Using the darkness of the cave to their advantage, Korra and her friends snuck around to get a better view. Based on Mako's observation, Mako was able to tell the person in the middle making the speech was the cult's leader. Just as he began making his gesture of grandeur, the leader signaled one of his minions to grab the first citizen as they offered him as a tribute to their imaginary god.

The man presented himself as the Arch-Bishop of the Iron Bloods. His flamboyant attitude and expression attracted the other cultists as they lowered themselves to their knees and started bowing. As their heads moved up and down, the Arch-Bishop continued to present his speech.

"For too long have we taken for granted our technological advancements throughout the years. While many so-called engineers and scientists claim it is through the works of previous innovations and the human mind, they refuse to answer how these ideas come to fruition. The truth is, our technological advancements were only made possible due to our beloved messiah. Without her, our world will still be stuck in the stone age. Think of this matter logically, how can humans, who know only corruption and murder come with such ideas of machinery. It is because the Omni-Messiah has implanted these ideas down to our souls and gifted us, humans, these powerful machines. While our technological advancements have increased tremendously, these works can just as quickly diminish. The only way our people can continue to strive and prosper is if our god continues to donate these ideas and metals for us. The only way to save our race is if we please our god to continue to protect and guide us. Thus, we must sacrifice these non-believers and satisfy our god!"

Korra, getting more and more anxious and worried, notices the Bishop's main bodyguard, carrying one of the citizens in front of the stage. Mako notices Korra's legs shaking and realizes her eagerness to run in. Mako tried to calm Korra, but she continued to ignore him as she rushed to save the citizen. Mako knew it wasn't safe nor smart to rush into the enemy without a plan, but Korra refused to listen.

Korra ran as fast as possible, trying to save the person being sacrificed, however, the leader already expected this as he ordered his main bodyguard to protect him. The giant abomination tackles Korra onto the floor and pins her down. Seeing their friend in trouble, Bolin and Mako rushed over and used their fire and earth bending to push the giant beast off of Korra. With their sneaky approach failing miserably, they change to more aggressive tactics. The Bishop orders his people to attack the Avatar and they follow through, blindly.

This wasn't enough to falter the three friends as they quickly used their respective bending to pummel the cult minions to the ground. Seeing how strong the Avatar was, the leader of the cult pulled out a switch, causing air to leak into the cave. His bodyguard did something similar, tossing gasoline kegs towards the Avatar's general direction.