Chapter 19: Reunion

Korra continued her way through the darkness, carrying Bishop. Her enemy was quiet as she took each step, getting closer and closer to Asami. The cave was finally silent and the Avatar was alone with her own thoughts. With nothing left to do, Korra started tracing her memory towards the incident as she pondered about her self-worth.

It was spectacular that she lived long enough to hear her shared sentiment for Asami, however, Korra doubted if she deserved Asami's affection. Perhaps this was some sentient being playing tricks against her as punishment for letting Mako and Bolin die. Korra even suggested she died with Mako and Bolin, and this is her isolated hell.

She couldn't believe she got a chance to be with Asami. To Korra, Asami was the most perfect being ever born, without a single trace of immorality nor wrongdoing within the pale elegant body. In contrast to her, Korra's actions let everyone she knew die. Bolin and Mako were gone due to her stubbornness to save everyone, Suyin died because Korra went into hiding, and Opal died as an act of revenge against her. Being married to Asami, Korra felt she was standing on top of her friends' corpses, finally reaching for something she wanted: a normal life with her girlfriend.

With everything that occurred, it seemed Korra was living in a nightmare. She knew it was her superstition consuming and pressed onward but she couldn't help to feel it was wrong for her to exist. After much pondering, she stopped worrying about her past. She walked further and further into the abyss, throwing herself in the jaws of death, and diving into the pits of hell. As much as she wants to believe this is some simulation and wants to bring her dead friends back, she continues to march forward. She refused to let the wait of her past mistakes steal what little she had left; she refused to let the same thing happen to Asami.

An hour had passed since her fight with Bishop and Korra finally found an exit out of the cave. Instead of being met with Asami right away, she was instead faced with towers of brick apartments. She assumed the villain had tricked her into a dead-end, but doubts of Bishop ended as a puff of smoke blinded Korra. With her vision blackened, another masked figure takes Bishop away from the confusion. It was Raccoon.

With the smoke clearing a little, Korra did her best to stop the masked villain from saving his ally, but it was too late. Using his fire-bending skills, the mysterious figure carried Bishop away from Korra's grasp like a piece of paper flew out of his pocket. The paper perfectly landed on Korra's face, impairing her vision and causing her to lose sight of her enemies. She watched as the little leverage she shortly carried flew away from her, and into the sky. However, she didn't need Bishop any longer as she removed the paper from her face and read the message written.

"Meet me at apartment building 14" Korra read.

Korra's eyes started to widen as she recognized the writing within the piece of paper. She knew whose handwriting it was but protested against the possibility of her assumption. Leaving her thoughts as irrational thinking, Korra followed the message as she tried finding the same building mentioned. Korra ran into the ghost town as she continued her search for Asami. She didn't waste time, sprinting as fast as she could until she found what she was looking for. Korra didn't even need to check the building as the masked figure stood still in front of the entrance.

Korra stopped her momentum, sliding her feet against the snow, facing her body perfectly towards the masked villain. Tired of the long goose chase, she demanded to know where Asami was.

"Where is she?" Korra demanded.

The man remained quiet as he refused to answer her question. Korra tried convincing the masked villain to leave Asami alone as she wasn't in the mood for a fight.

"Please! Asami did nothing wrong! If you're mad at someone, kill me but leave Asami out of this!" Korra pleaded.

The new masked villain shook his head, disappointed in Korra's appeal.