Chapter 8: Kiss of Death

Korra opens her eyes as she regains consciousness. As she turns her head to the right, she notices Asami staring through a window and into the starry night. Korra gets up from the bed as she realizes she doesn't recognize the scenery within the room. While the hospital room was bright but uncomfortable, the room now felt dark but cozy. Lifting her head and grunting from the incision within her stomach, Korra realizes she is no longer in the hospital but rather in someone's house. Seeing Asami wearing a t-shirt and shorts, she could only assume it was none other than Asami's house.

Hearing Korra grunting from her injuries, Asami gets up from the bedroom balcony and rushes over to aid her friend.

"Hey, just lay down for now." Asami suggested.

"What did I miss?" Korra asked.

"Nothing much. Lin thought it was best to move you somewhere secret and more comfortable. After you passed out from the pain, the doctors arrived and approved. They said as long as I could move you someplace more comfortable after a week of rest." Asami explained

Realizing that more than a day had passed since Korra was asleep, she immediately turned startled.

"How long was I asleep for?" Korra exclaimed.

"Not for long. Two weeks, a week and a half maybe." Asami stated while doubting herself.

"Two weeks!" Korra screamed.

Realizing she was asleep longer than she had expected, Korra jumped off her bed, uncovering herself from her sheets. Worried that Korra's sudden movements would rip her stitches off, Asami immediately sat her back down to bed. Although Korra wanted to leave immediately, she was too weak to go against Asami's soft nudge.

"Korra... You need to get some rest. You are in no condition to fight." Asami stated.

"It's fine, I can manage." Korra argued.

"Everyone who says 'I'm fine' is usually lying. Get back down. Besides, Lin is probably asleep as well and the doctors said you need at least another week of rest. So just relax Korra." Asami stated.

Korra doesn't feel complacent at first for the amount of time she slept, but seeing Asami's face made her relax a bit. With her muscles loose and her abdomen no longer feeling tense, Korra placed her head back against the mattress. Remembering Korra wasn't awake to hear Asami's recruitment, Asami decided it was best to tell her the news. Knowing Korra wasn't going to agree with this, Asami decided to tell Korra about it anyway.

"Once you get recovered, I'll start joining you alongside Lin." Asami stated.

"Absolutely fucking not!" Korra yelled.

"It's too late. I already discussed this with Lin and she agreed." Asami responded.

Korra was absolutely furious and against Asami's decision. It wasn't because she considered Asami weak, but rather Korra was worried she would be unable to protect Asami from harm. Being barely able to protect herself and remembering Mako's death, Korra tries her best to persuade Asami to not join. Just as she reminds herself about Mako's death, Korra sees the visage of Mako once more, but this time, hanging against the balcony.

Shaking her head, Korra adjusts her eyes only to find Mako's vengeful spirit no longer lurking in the darkness. Korra is still haunted by her past mistake. Her eyes widen and begin panicking, grabbing Asami by the shoulders.

"You can't go Asami, please just reconsider your decision at least!" Korra in an agitated tone.

"Korra, this is final. I'm going with you!" Asami argued.

"If you go, I can't save you!" Korra replied.

"Oh, you're going to save me? Who's the one who saved your ass last week? Besides, you're going to need all the help you can get." Asami claimed.

"PLEASE JUST FUCKING LISTEN TO ME!" Korra yelled.

Asami is bewildered to hear Korra's infuriated tone as she never saw this side of her friend. As the room gets quiet, Asami is no longer distracted by the boisterous noise of their conversation. Taking some time to measure the heated tension between the two friends, Asami notices Korra crying. Water rapidly drips down against her cheeks as Korra begins to sob in front of Asami. Feeling completely hopeless, Korra drops onto the floor with her knees against the cold brick ground. Korra tries to hold her head, shielding herself from the chaos around her.

While Asami understands Korra's immediate defense, she feels there was more reason behind it. Curious, Asami leans over and unveils Korra's head from her hands, and caresses Korra's face.

"You like everyone Korra, but why do you always hate yourself?" Asami questioned.

Looking up, Korra feels reluctant to answer; seeing Asami's eyes and silky hair.

" I lost Mako and Bolin... I can't lose you too..." Korra explained.

"You won't. But it's more than that. Why are you so against this?" Asami inquired.

Not believing herself, Asami tries to take a wild guess and assumes it's because Korra is in love with her.

"You're in love with me... aren't you?" Asami asked.

Korra didn't say anything as she wasn't able to deny her assumption, however, she didn't want to admit it either. Realizing she hit the mark, Asami tried to test her theory by creating a test. Without saying anything, Asami reaches into Korra's face and begins pressing her lips against Korra's. As she forces her tongue against Korra's mouth, the two start twisting and sliding their tongues against each other, sharing a long moment for their kiss. Being unable to breathe, Korra tries to push Asami away, but Asami doesn't let go. Squeezing her arms around Korra tightly, she continues to kiss her, entrapping Korra in her euphoric gesture.

While Korra does enjoy the moment, Korra is more worried about convincing Asami not to tag along with her mission. Using all the strength she could muster, Korra pushes Asami away, finally being able to gasp for air. Korra had just witnessed a kiss of death and she enjoyed it. Her face is red as the roses that were placed against a nearby table. Her heart is beating faster than the nightly chirps of the crickets. Although Korra wants to tell Asami her feelings are mutual, she gets the premonition that a possible relationship will only make the pain of bringing Asami along worse.

Trying her best to shelter her friend from danger, Korra walks out of Asami's room. She cries once more, but this time, she conceals the sound of her wail by covering her mouth. As Asami observes Korra walking further and further away from her, all she could feel was anger towards herself and the current situation. With her soul way past its boiling point, Asami feels the need to release her inner indignation and throws a nearby chair against a nearby mirror. Watching her shattered reflection, she no longer recognizes herself anymore. It was as if she became the thing she feared the most: being Korra's greatest despair. Everything Asami ever wanted suddenly drifted away from her. Thinking Korra doesn't share the same feelings as she does, Asami sits down as she realizes how much of a hypocrite she is.

Judging Korra for hating herself so much, Asami notices she was no different nor better than the person she admires. Believing she was doing this to help her friend, Asami comes to the real conclusion that she was only doing this for her selfish and sexual reasons, using their friendship to justify her actions. Trying to calm herself down, Asami reaches into a nearby cabinet, pulling out some cigarettes and a lighter. As she ignites the tip of her chemical wand, she starts inhaling the toxic particles into her lungs and exhales the smoke. With nothing else to do, Asami continues smoking, watching the elegant moonlight.