Chapter 4: Lin's Revenge

After a couple days of reflecting, Korra decided it was time to return to Republic City and help Lin with the investigation. After packing her bags, she walked with Asami to the shipping docks. As she was heading into the ship, she turned around to see Tenzin and his family seeing their departure. Korra thanked everyone, especially Pema, for their hospitality and waved them goodbye.

Couple of hours later, Korra and Asami arrived at Republic City and there at the landing area, awaited an impatient Lin Beifong.

Seeing the two friends walk down from the ship, Lin can only assume that Asami was able to convince Korra to continue helping with the case.

"I assume you convinced Korra with the investigation." Lin said in a stern voice.

"Yes, I'm with you a hundred percent this time." Korra answered for Asami.

"I would give the Avatar a proper greeting, however, time is against us. We need to bring Korra up to speed on what she missed. We found something interesting." Lin stated.

Asami and Korra looked at each other with surprise as they didn't expect the chief to make any advancements in the case. Following Lin to the police headquarters, Korra noticed the chief was walking in a strange manner. Korra didn't ask however as she didn't want to present herself in a terrible manner on her first day back.

Walking into her office, Korra and Asami are seated as Lin explains the new information they gathered while Korra was gone. Lin cleared her throat as she began explaining the new leaked information.

"While you were gone in the Air Nation, one of my scouts found out that there are seven main members in the Machinist cult, known as the blood circle. Although we only know what they look like in costume, we don't know the people's real identity. However, we do know their code names."

Lin pulls out their files as she explains each member; seven in total.

"The one you met at the incident is named Bishop, he is the member in charge of religious propaganda. He wears a plain white mask with red tears coming out the eye sockets.

Then there is Oni, who wears a demon mask and is in charge of weapons trafficking for the cult.

There's Fox and Owl, who are the main assassins of the group. They are very skilled in hand to hand combat. These two are very special as they master a new type of blood bending. Something I've never seen before." Lin stated.

"What do you mean?" Korra asked.

"While they aren't able to control water like normal water benders, they're able to manipulate their own blood almost perfectly. Healing themselves from almost any injuries. While they can regenerate quickly, it seems they need cognitive function to heal themselves, so cutting off their heads should kill them." Lin explained.

Korra started to get worried as the chief subtly mentioned killing the criminals instead of imprisoning them. Korra wanted to question Lin Beifong's comment, but Asami grabbed her shoulder, letting Lin continue onwards. Asami knew Korra wanted to refute Lin's subtle comment and knew Korra wanted to convince Lin to reconsider their approach towards the enemy. Instead of keeping her mouth shut, however, Korra released herself from Asami's grasp as she began questioning the remark.

"What do you mean kill? Don't you mean arrest? I thought cops aren't allowed to kill criminals." Korra argued.

"The longer we keep these people alive, the more damage they will cause to the city. We can't have them around hurting more people. They're a menace to our society and must be killed without hesitation!" Lin explained.

Korra refused to listen to Lin's explanation as it went against her own morality. Being the Avatar, Korra knew it was her job to bring peace and balance to the world like her previous life-times. Hearing Beifong's subtle remark on murdering the cult members, Korra believed it would only inspire chaos and fear within the populace. By killing the cult members, it showed everyone that the protectors were no better villains than the Iron Bloods.