Chapter 20: Aftermath

It's been a month since the incident and everyone's injuries had finally healed. Although the physical damages no longer exist, there was some emotional turmoil between Asami and Korra. Korra is mad at Asami for wanting to leave Mako for dead. Even if Mako had turned insane, she believed there was some good in him to be restored. Blinded by grief and sorrow, Korra believed Mako wasn't making the right choices. She felt guilty for her past mistakes and still believes Mako was still alive somewhere in the world.

On the other hand, Asami believes Mako was a traitor, thinking Korra is being too lenient towards the villain who took both Suyin and Opal away. While Asami understood Mako could have killed her before his encounter with Korra, she's still mad because of her reluctance to save him. Asami now despises Mako. Words could not explain how much animosity she has for him as her soul both burns with hatred and trauma for what he did. If anything, she considered Mako to be better off dead.

Although the tension between them was high, the two missed each other during the past month and wished things could return to normal. Korra wished she could take her punch back and Asami wished she helped Korra dig through the rubble instead.

The last time they ever saw each other was at the hospital, where they bickered about Mako's whereabouts. The day they awoke from their injuries, Lin had asked if they knew about Raccoon's identity. Asami wanted to tell Lin the truth, but after seeing Korra's disturbed face, she remained silent, keeping the secret to herself too. It wasn't because Asami cared about Mako, but rather worried that if she crossed that line, Korra would no longer see Asami the same.

On the other hand, Korra wanted to keep Mako's honorable reputation as she believed the person she saw underneath the mask wasn't the person she once knew. She didn't want to desecrate his name as she already desecrated his life.

Fast Forwards into the present, Korra continues to think about Asami and how she treated her. While she doesn't believe she was wrong, she doesn't want to lose Asami over Mako.

Walking towards her desk Korra started writing a letter to Asami. She doesn't care whether she read it or not, but wanted to get a few things off her chest.

She knew remaining distant would only hurt themselves as both of them still loved each other. Putting her past ideals aside, Korra started writing, telling her she was going to leave Republic City for a little while. Her hands started to shake as she was unsure what to write. However, this didn't stop her as placed pen and paper, describing the first thing that came into her mind.

"Dear Asami,

It's been a while since we last saw each other and I want to say, I'm sorry. I know you don't share the same hopes for Mako as I do and I don't want something like this to drive us apart. Throughout the last couple of weeks, I've done some thinking and I have come to terms with why you're frustrated with him. I understand he stood still as the cult continued to torture you. I know he pointed death towards your head and if I was you, I would have reacted the same. However, I still believe there is some decency in him. I'm not trying to argue with you again, quite the opposite actually. I'm here to say that I'm sorry, for not considering what you felt or continue to feel. I've realized something. I feel the need to prove my worth to you and I need to learn to be a better person. I want to change for both of us. I'm heading back South to meet my parents. I need some parental guidance of some sort. Perhaps I don't deserve you at all and you deserve someone better...."

Korra blanks out for a minute as she ponders about what to write. After re-reading the letter, she continues once more. She realizes the note was too negative and decided to contrast this with some positive comments.

"I never expected to live this long and I'm glad I got to experience such things with you. Going to the festival was the most fun I'd had, even if it was during our darkest time. I'll never forget those kinds, red lips you pressed against mine. I'll never forget those kind words that you poured into my ears. I've been treated by all the doctors in the world, but no medicine could ever cure my soul, except your serene voice. I'm thankful for our time together.