Chapter 13: Distractions

While the Avatar and Bishop are duking it out, Lin and Kuvira are standing together, facing off against their opponents: Owl and Fox. The two groups glare at each other like predators hunting their prey. While Owl and Fox hover around the water patiently, Lin and Kuvira show restlessness as their legs and arms continue to twitch.

Feeling keen to start the fight first, Kuvira and Lin run towards the enemy. Trying to slow them down, Fox and Owl use their water bending skills, throwing ice projectiles at the two metal benders. The two Beifongs manage to dodge every single one of them as the water benders' attacks continue to whiff. Getting close enough, Lin lunges towards Owl as she swings her legs with great ferocity. Owl manages to dodge the swing, but it doesn't matter as Kuvira runs past Owl.

It was at this point, Owl's suspicion was validated; Kuvira already knew he's the only one capable of regenerative abilities. Throughout the entire fight, Kuvira used her years of fighting experience and carefully analyzed the first thirty seconds of the brawl. Kuvira noticed that Owl and Bishop had gone out of their way to protect their ally from any immediate forms of danger. Both taking and blocking the blows toward Fox, Kuvira could only assume that Fox was incapable of healing herself.

Just as Kuvira passes him, Owl ignores the bladed lady in front of him as she rushes to save his ally. Using his quick thinking, Owl uses his water-bending to form an ice dome around himself, surrounding the two metal benders. This doesn't falter Kuvira as she jumps over the frozen wall as it's forming and lifts a sharp pillar of the Earth from where Fox was standing. Launching the masked murderer in the air, Fox manages to block Kuvira's attack by covering herself in a thick layer of ice.

Flying in the air, Fox uses the nearby shore to levitate herself and reduce the falling impact. The fighters were separated as this was now a one on one match within the icy arena. With no distractions or interference within their way, Owl and Lin were able to continue the altercation they started during the first encounter. Owl felt confident in close-quarters hand-to-hand engagement, however, he would soon regret barricading himself with his enemy as he gleamed to see Lin's smug expression.

"If you think these walls are helping you, you're mistaken." Lin claimed.

Using the surrounding walls to her advantage, Lin grapples onto one side as she zooms around the field. In an instant, the chief inspector turned into a blur to the Owl. The masked man keeps turning left and right but is unable to catch a glimpse of his opponent. Lin moved from one area of ice to another as she accelerated her speed ten folds. Finally building enough momentum, Lin aimed her blades above and behind Owl as she hooked herself forward. Pulling her left leg back, Lin started spinning with high velocity, cutting the wind and everything within her direction.

Hearing the swirling blades of death and the rippling sounds of metal wires being pulled, Owl had anticipated Lin's position as she aimed for his nape. As the bladed phantom approaches him swiftly, Owl tries to protect himself within a short amount of time by freezing his neck. Noticing the ice was hard enough to block her attack, Lin made a quick change in her aggression.

"Fine, if you don't want to die quickly, I'll just take my time killing you!" Lin exclaimed.

Instead of going for the instant kill, Lin quickly changed the direction of her blades and cut his eyes instead.

Impairing his vision completely, Owl had no way of tracking the metal menace. Moving to the other side of the icy dome, Lin propelled herself forwards, making another attack. This time, Lin aimed for Owl's legs as she diced the limbs into eight different pieces. Owl barely had time to react to the assaults as the pain of losing his eyes and legs was too overbearing for him to focus. He screams in torment as the detective performs the longest and most inhuman surgery.