Chapter 9: No need for apologies

It was quiet in Republic City as the streets were only illuminated by moonlight. Walking down the narrow walkway, Korra begins hearing Mako's haunting voice.

"How could you Korra...." Mako stated.

"Shut up..." Korra whispered to herself.

"It's all your fault!" Mako stated.

Mako continued to repeat the same phrase over and over again, tormenting the young avatar. Korra tried drowning the voices in her head with whispers of her own, but nothing seems to work. Finally, Korra had enough and screamed on top of her lungs, begging for her imaginary, dead friend to stop.

"SHUT UP!" Korra screamed.

The voices didn't stop but rather increased as the frightened protagonist began to hear Bolin's voice as well. From here, Korra was slowly drowning in her own insanity, sinking into an endless void of horror.

"Why Korra?" Bolin enunciated in a ghoulish tone.

"GET OUT OF MY HEAD!" Korra howled.

Korra suddenly gets a tap on the shoulder. Unprepared by this sudden touch for attention, she quickly turns and gets into her fire-bending stance. However, Korra immediately lowered her sense of caution as she recognized the person that tapped her. It was Opal who had noticed Korra yelling towards an empty crowd.

"Hey Korra, I notice you've been talking to yourself, are you okay?" Opal asked.

Korra is embarrassed to be caught losing her mind and shocked to see Opal in Republic City. She remembers the last time they saw each other: at Mako and Bolin's funeral. They didn't exchange words that night, worried it would cause more tension between the two of them. While Opal wanted to consult Korra about the incident, she couldn't bear to glance at her in return. The despair and pain she caused for her made Korra feel nothing but guilt and sorrow. Noticing Korra being unable to utter a word, Opal continues the conversation.

"I wanted to talk to you, but you left early that night. I haven't seen you since. I was worried about you. I suspect you aren't okay, but I still want to know." Opal stated.

Noticing Opal hasn't shown any sign of animosity towards her, Korra continued to converse.

"When did you arrive?" Korra asked.

"Just yesterday. I'm only here to visit Bolin's grave. What about you?" Opal questioned.

"I'm here to help Lin with the investigation." Korra added.

"That's great to hear!" Opal commented.

Realizing she has no one else to talk to, Korra decides to share some of her problems with Opal.

"It really isn't. Asami decided to join the mission to capture the Iron Bloods. Lin approved." Korra stated in a depressing tone.

"You don't seem thrilled at all... I can only assume that this is bad news for you." Opal replied.

"Of course it is! I got Mako and Bolin killed the last time. If I couldn't save them that day, how can I protect Asami? Matter of fact, I was barely able to protect myself." Korra explained.

Feeling the need to head home due to the cold weather, Opal decided it was best to continue the exchange someplace warmer.

"You want to come over to my hotel? I think this personal conversation is best discussed somewhere private." Opal suggested.

Hearing the best idea of the day, Korra follows her friend to her hotel. Korra was quiet as she's been constantly thinking about Asami's decision to join. Getting closer and closer to the room, Korra gets more and more bothered about how she is going to convince Asami not to come. But the closer she got to the room, the more she started doubting her chances of persuasion.