Chapter 17: End the Cycle

As Korra and her friends are being blasted into the air, Kuvira and Lin use their zip-lines to catch the water benders. Hanging against the outer walls of the castle, the four barely cling to their lives as the twins watch over the cliff and shoot ice shards from their hands. Carrying their respective partners, Lin and Kuvira run opposite sides against the outer walls, dodging their attacks. Ice begins to rain towards them as they rush further and further into safety.

"Leave me and Lin with these two. Go find Asami!" Kuvira exclaimed.

"You guys can't fight her alone. Let me help!" Korra demanded.

"They're just buying time. If you don't leave now, Asami might be dead! Now go!" Kuvira responded.

Korra was hesitant to leave at first, but after making eye contact with Kuvira, a sense of trust and faith built between the two allies. The former enemy has now become her friend as the Avatar didn't have the words to express her thanks. Making the tough decision, Korra drops down alongside Kya. Using her airbending skills, she reduced the speed of which she dropped herself landing gracefully with Kya by her side. Seeing the Avatar escaping, Eska dives out the throne room, heading straight for Korra. Eska refuses to fight Kuvira and Lin once more, focusing all her attention on the Avatar.

However, Kuvira manages to incapacitate her during the fall. The metal tears from her armor, flying towards Eska's direction and into Eska's shoulder, locking her in place. Eska screams in agony as Kuvira finally lands an attack on her. It was clear that Eska couldn't ignore the metal benders. Ripping the steel off her shoulder, Eska chases after Kuvira.

From the peak of the palace, Desna notices his sister's in trouble and tries to jump off and save her. However, just as Desna attempts his jump, Lin notices the prince's desire to assist and intercepts him. Grappling herself towards the highest peak of the castle, Lin reels in the metal wires and tackles Desna back into the room. As she does this, Desna kicks Lin off him, forcing her back towards the edge of the cliff. Lin almost falls off into her impending doom but manages to catch herself just in time.

Inside the throne room, no walls surround the two fighters with the strong winds pushing against their bodies. Lin was reconsidering her revenge, not expecting Desna and Eska to be their mysterious villains. Just as puts on his Owl mask, Lin asks him a question.

"Why are you doing this? I can see why Eska, but I can't seem to understand your intent." Lin inquired.

"I never wanted Eska to turn out like this. I even tried to reason with her but she won't listen. As much as I really want to help you, detective, I can't go against my sister. Bolin maybe her turtle dove, but she means everything to me." Desna replied.

"There's still time! You can explain things to her more clearly!" Lin stated.

"Have you seen her face? The reasoning isn't going to cut it... All she cares about is blood being spilled. Everyone that gets in her way wants her dead and I can't let that happen." Desna stated.

The arena was quiet with only the sound of the arctic wind howling against their ears. Snowfall filled the room as the two opponents stared directly at each other. Slowly picking up the snow from the ground, Desna created a sword using his water bending. With enough said, Lin rushed towards Eska as she jumped high in the air and swung her blade towards Desna's neck. Desna manages to parry the attack, lunging his sword towards her chest. Evading the attack, Lin backed off as fast as possible with Desna whiffing his attack.

With the limited space, close-quarter combat was the only solution. The two jumped towards each other as they continued fighting.

Meanwhile, Kuvira and Eska were fighting on the outskirts of the central caste. Gliding against the walls, Eska chases after Kuvira, throwing ice projectiles against her. Kuvira knows that once she gets hit by those objects, her whole body would freeze causing more trouble for the young Avatar. Kuvira was going to beat her opponent by using the object that Varrick gave her before leaving Republic City. Remembering she left the tool at the throne room, Kuvira had to find her way back.