The Cherry Blossom Wilts

If anyone was ever fortunate enough to have seen a cherry blossom up close, they would realize exactly how beautiful and breathtaking they really are. But what you wouldn't be able to tell from just looks alone, is how strong and durable it is. Able to stand up to the most viscous and powerful winds, without losing a single petal. But sometimes even the most elegant and durable of cherry blossoms begin to wilt with time.

   Sakura was no exception to this, as jusy like the cherry blossom that she was named after, she also started to wilt. As the petals of said cherry blossom began to crumble and fall away.

   As the first petal begins to fall, we find ourselves looking into the past, no a dream, no not even that. We are looking into one of Sakura's memories. As we are brought to the past, as we witness the first meeting between Sakura and Sasuke.

   "Okay class welcome to your first day at the ninja academy. How about we all go around and introduce ourselves so we can get more familiar with each other." The first year instructor at the academy cheerfully instructed her class. And one by one every one in the class introduced themselves, until it was finally Sakura's turn. As she stood up she noticed that everyone's gaze was on her, which she thought was a little unnerving, but she continued on never the less. "H-hello everyone my name is Sakura Haruno, it's nice to meet you all." She said with a cheerful smile on her face, which quickly turned into a pout and then a frown as she began to hear the usual insults. "No it's not, your name is billboard brow because of your giant forehead." One particularly rude and nasty kid remarked, which nearly brought Sakura to tears. But what she heard next almost immediately made her feel better. "And you have giant ears, so should we call you Dumbo?" She heard someone say from her left, turning there she saw that it was Sasuke Uchiha that had spoken up on her behalf. And now had all of the kids pointing and laughing at Dumbo instead of her.

   "Th-thank you." Sakura shyly and nervously thanked the young Uchiha. Who in turn gave her a small smile in return. "Don't mention it, I hate people that pick on and bully people. Especially for something that is out of their control. My name is Sasuke Uchiha by the way." He said as he held out his hand. "Oh, I'm Saku.." she started to say with a blush on her face as she took his hand and shook it. "Sakura Haruno yeah, you just told us." Sasuke said matter of factly. Which proceeded to make Sakura blush even harder in embarrassment. "Oh and by the way." Sasuke said as he leaned in closer to Sakura. "I think your forehead os perfect just the way it is." He complimented as he pulled away from Sakura, which almost made her pass out from sheer excitement.

  No more words were exchanged between the two that day as the teacher finally got the class to quite down and finish introductions. Then she began her lesson.

  As we see the second petal fall from the cherry blossom we witness another one of Sakura's memories.

   This takes place at the school's playground as we see Sakura sitting on the ground with tears in her eyes,  as a group of kids are gathered around her picking on her about her giant forehead again. When she was once again saved by Sasuke. "I thought I told you to stop picking on her Dumbo." He said as he approached the group. "And why should we?" Dumbo responded back as he ignored the chuckles and jeers that being called Dumbo had gotten him. "Because if you don't. You'll find it hard to speak and bully anyone with a broken jaw that's wired shut." Sasuke calmly answered back as he was now face to face with Dumbo. "I'd like to see you..." was all Dumbo was able to get out of his mouth, before his mouth was full of dirt. Compliments of Sasuke judo flipping him to the ground. "Jish ifent ogre." Dumbo tried to say as he and his lackeys ran away, assumedly to hide their shame, and probably to wash the dirt out of his mouth.

   "Are you okay?" Sasuke asked with concern. To which Sakura just nodded as tears continued to fall down her face. "Here I have something that might cheer you up." Sasuke said as he grabbed his backpack from off his shoulders and quickly unzipped it. Before taking out a box and presenting it to Sakura, who cautiously took it, and slowly opened it. "Pocky?" Sakura asked confused. "Yeah my brother gave it to me, but I dont really like sweet things, but I heard that you do. So I thought that it might cheer you up." Sasuke said with a smile, as he stood up. Soon followed by Sakura. Who was about to say something but was cut off by an instructor calling everybody inside to resume class. "Catch ya later." Sasuke said as he quickly poked Sakura in the head, and ran off to class.

   As the third petal falls, the third memory begins. As we see Sakura talking to Naruto after class one day.

   "Naruto you're always around Sasuke, do you know of a way for me to get Sasuke to notice me?" Sakura asked as they were getting ready to leave. "What do you mean?" Naruto asked back as he finished gathering up his things. "I mean like, he's always got every girl in the class constantly surrounding him. I can never get close to him, and I feel like he never sees me." Sakura said while looking down with a shy demeanor. "Oh, so you want him to notice you over every other girl in class that is always throwing themselves at him." Naruto asked/stated. "Yes exactly, do you know anything that I can do?" Sakura asked hopefully. "Well you're trying to do exactly what everyone else is doing. Gathering around him, yelling his name, and trying to get as close as possible so that he can see you. Instead of doing the same thing as everyone else. Do something different. If you want Sasuke to notice you then, you have to stand out. Quit acting like one of his many fangirls and just be Sakura Haruno. I know that he likes plain old Sakura way more than a rabid fangirl. And also Sasuke isnt obsessed with looks, so you dont have to worry about looking your best for him. Instead focus more on training and working hard. Sasuke admires that about people. Do that and Sasuke will definately notice you." Naruto finally finished his advise to Sakura as he turned to leave, but was surprised when he felt Sakura give him a hug from behind. "Thank you so much Naruto, you have no idea how much this means to me." Sakura said as she let go of Naruto and ran off, probably to her house. 'You owe me one Sakura, you to Sasuke.' Naruto thought to himself as he smiled the entire trip back to his apartment.

   The fourth petal falls a lot slower than the last three, but still falls all the same. This time taking us to a more recent time. In the forest of death during the fight with the Ame team. Sasuke was working extra hard to protect Sakura from the various weapons being thrown at them from the team. Since Sakura was being slowed down by the gas. 'Even after all this time I'm still just a burden, and I still need to be protected. Ever since we were kids you've been protecting me Sasuke. Even though I've gotten stronger, I'm still not strong enough.' She thought to herself as she dodged and deflected some more shuriken and kunai. 'But one of these days Sasuke I'm gonna be the one that protects you, this I swear.' She continued until she felt the backlash of Naruto's jutsu.

   The fifth petal absolutely refuses to fall though. Desperately holding on for everything it's worth. Not wanting to give up yet. Refusing to give up hope. Latching onto to the final memory, as if refusing to let it go. Even though this determined petal refuses to fall, we can still see the memory clearly.

   Just after Team 7's fight with Orochimaru, with Sasike and Sakura in their tree base. Sasuke had just told Sakura to get some rest, and she was prepared to do so, but something was keeping her from sleeping. An odd sense of unease, a form of foreboding. Something was making her feel anxious. That was until she felt what she assumed was Sasuke slowly moving her pink locks away from her face as he gently caressed her face for not nearly long enough in Sakura's opinion. But as soon as he pulled his hand away, he took away all of her unease and anxiety with him. And Sakura felt that she was finally able to fall asleep peacefully.

   Just as the final petal of the cherry blossom refused to wither, so did Sakura. As she refused to let this be her end. As she held onto that last memory like a lifeline refusing to let it go. Allowing it to give her strength, provide her with hope and stability. This particular cherry blossom would not wither here, she would endure to the end. Even as her life force began to fade and the light began to leave her eyes she continued to fight and struggle. And just when all hope felt lost, she began to feel eerily at peace as if someone or something was reaching out to give her a hand with her struggle. Pulling her back from the brink of despair, and preventing her from withering. What she felt was an overpowering calm, that gave her no choice but to feel at peace, as she allowed it to overwhelm and envelope her. As that last cherry blossom petal turned into two, then three, them four, then became whole again. As the entire flower began to glow a golden hue, as it was given the nourishment to regain its firm hold on the stem. And just like that the cherry blossom was whole once again, as it was able to showcase its beauty to the world once again.