Inari's Turmoil

What was a hero anyway? Someone who stood up against the forces of evil, despite the cause or the danger they would put themselves in. Of course the only thing heroes ever did anyway was go and get themselves killed as a result. What's the point of trying to be a hero, if you just killed for you efforts? There isn't one. It's much better to run away and hide, at least then you're safe.

   These were some of the thoughts and questions that ran through Inari's mind as he sat alone in his room. Tightly holding on to his picture of Kaiza. His father-like figure, and self professed hero. It was this picture alone that was causing Inari so much eternal turmoil. Well that and an argument with a certain loudmouthed blonde shinobi.

   "What does he know? He should just mind his own business. Why does he care anyway." Inari asked himself, knowing that noone would answer him. And the only person that could was Naruto himself. And Inari wasn't about to go ask him. Not like he could anyway. Naruto and the rest of Team 7 had been training all day for the past couple of days. Well beyond the point of exhaustion. They didn't even eat dinner last night. They just came back from training and went straight to sleep.

   "Why do they bother trying so hard, they're just going to get themselves killed. And for what? A mission that has nothing to do with them. They're only doing this because it's their mission, and they have to. They don't care about Gato or the rest of us. They just want to get paid."

   Inari kept telling himself this over and over. Trying to make himself agree with it. But the more he tried to convince himself, the less of an effect it ended having on him. Because the more he thought about it, the more he was reminded of the one-sided argument he had with Naruto three days ago.

   "Okay listen here you little brat, what's your problem? What do you have against the four of us? We're trying to help you guys and the rest of wave! And the only thing you keep going on about is how we're just going to end up getting ourselves killed!" Naruto shouted at Inari as he slammed a fist down on the table. "My problem is that you guys think that you can come in here and just make things right, even though you have no idea what we've been through! And you have no idea what you're up against! If you try to go up against Gato you'll just get yourself killed!" Inari shouted back as tears started to well up in his eyes. "If it means helping you and the rest of Wave get out from under Gato's control, then I'd gladly risk my life to help. Naruto said a little quieter but still just as passionately. "Sacrificing yourself to help a bunch of people that you don't even know. What do you think you are, some type of hero? Well I hate to tell you, but heroes only end up dieing in the end." Inari said in a somber tone, as he lowered his head to look at the ground.

   "That's the definition of a hero kid." Naruto said in a softer tone than before, which caused Inari to look up at him in bewilderment. "Dying in an attempt to help someone in need, even if they don't ask for it. That is a hero yes, but their are other types of heroes. Your grandfather Tazuna, risked his life to go and get us to help him. Even building the bridge that is putting his life in danger for the sole purpose of helping the people of this country. He's a hero. Not just that he's a real hero. A real hero isn't someone that risks their life to help someone. We are shinobi, we do that every single day, we're not heroes. A hero isn't someone that helps out another person in need. That's a basic human instinct, that many people do without even thinking. No a true hero is someone that inspires hope, confidence and faith in others. A hero is someone that brightens the darkness and helps someone see the light. A hero is someone that helps people, not because it's the right thing to do, but because they want to make an impact and help people overcome adversity, despite the risks that they would have to take to do so. You got it wrong kid, I'm no hero. The difference between me and a hero is that, heroes never die. They live on forever in our memories and our hearts. If you ever forget about the things that they did for you or for anyone. Or if the hope that they tried to bring in their death ever disappears. Then they weren't a true hero." Naruto finished his passionate speech that left everyone speechless, as they tried to reflect on what he had just said. Except for Inari. "What do you know, you dont know anything. You dont know what he did for us!" Inari loudly screamed as he quickly stood up and ran up to his room.

   "At first I thought he was insulting you, and saying that your death was meaningless. But now thinking back on it, I realize that he was right. Your death wasn't meaningless. You gave your life for something you believed in. You wanted to inspire people, and give them hope that they could overcome Gato. So long as they never gave up hope. I see now what you were really trying to do. And I also see that your death wasn't meaningless. But I made it meaningless, by giving up hope. By forgetting the very thing you sacrificed yourself for. I'm sorry dad, for giving up, but I won't give up again. I'll hold onto the last thing you ever gave me, and never let it go again. I'll never loose hope again. Thank you Naruto, even though you had no idea, what I was going through. Or even what the situation was you was still able to help. You were able to restore my hope. And by your definition, that does in fact make you a hero. Not just to me, but to everyone here. I won't let anyone forget about you, or dad, or the hope that you both fought so hard to bring to us. From now on I'm not going to cry, and I won't run away ever again. From now on I'll try to be a real hero, just like you two. And I'm going to start by reminding everyone what hope is."