Chapter 4

4. My Wishes For You

"It is so beautiful, so exciting, this love,

That I tremble on the verge of it."

- Virginia Woolf

.......... .......... .......... ......... ......... ......... .........

By the beginning of August Mikey was getting more distant, more out of it, and as 14th August approached you did your best to be there for him. You went to the grave with his family when they invited you to go with them, you held Mikey's hand as he stood there, and even though he didn't say anything you gave him a gentle smile to reassure him that you were there for him.

When his birthday finally arrived you weren't sure whether he felt like celebrating or not, so you brought over some pastries from his favorite shop along with some dorayaki you baked and headed to his house. You peeked in through their open door to see him, Emma, and their grandfather sitting around the table.

"(y/n)-chan, come on in," Their grandpa, who was sitting facing the door, invited you in. 

You were proud to say that you had grown close to the Sano family ever since you and Mikey had started dating. By now, your parents also knew about you and Mikey and were (excitedly) waiting for the day they could meet him again. You were just thankful that they hadn't found out about the fact that Mikey would sneak into your room whenever he pleased just to annoy you and distract you from whatever task you had at hand.

"Actually, we'll head into my room," Mikey got up and excused himself, and Emma and his grandpa nodded. He smiled at you as he bent down to put his shoes on, and when he was done he started for his room," Come on."

You followed him to his brand new room: Shinichiro's old room in the garage, and you sat down on separate couches. You neatly arranged the food you brought on his table as he watched, zoning out, and you looked up to meet his eyes. You hesitated a bit as you stood up and made your way to where he was sitting, taking a seat beside him.

There were many moments spent in Mikey's old bedroom before, and being alone with him inside wasn't a new thing for either of you, but this new bedroom had been gifted as an early birthday present to him. Almost everything inside had once belonged to his older brother, and in a way the younger Sano brother felt close to him wherever he would turn the T.V or radio on and pretend to watch a movie or listen to program or music with Shinichiro like they used to before the latter passed away.

"Mikey, if you wanna talk...I'm here," breaking the silence you fiddled with your thumbs, wondering if you could get him to talk about anything that was bothering him.

"Huh?" Mikey snapped out of his daze and looked at you, a hint of surprise in his eyes when he saw you next to him," Oh. It's okay, I'm fine."

You sighed as he smiled at you, forcing yourself to smile back as you picked up a cake and gave it to him," Well then, make a wish."

Mikey looked at the burning candle on top as his eyebrows furrowed, thinking about what he wanted to wish for. Finally, he spoke," I don't really know what to wish for. Maybe you could do it for me?"

"Mikey!" You laughed as he looked on in seriousness," You make one yourself!"

"The candle's starting to melt, (y/n)," he pointed at it as if that would convince you to steal his wish from him.