Chapter 30

A/N: A chapter that's slightly shorter than the rest, I hope you guys don't mind. Busy schedule that has turned even busier than before 😗

Considering the fact that this book is my first, it's probably not my best work yet. I think there are many points that could've been better, and the fact that the manga gave us so many plot twists makes it difficult to make up for the plot holes in previous chapters.

I'll try my best to clear them up along with some editing, but since exams are coming up I'll probably only update one more time before them.

I hope you enjoy it, feel free to comment and vote (⁠✿⁠ ⁠♡⁠‿⁠♡⁠)

30. Secrets Unraveled

"I have survived.
I am here.
Confused,
Screwed up, but here."
- Laurie Halse Anderson
........ ......... ......... ......... .........

"How did you know that?" You asked, narrowing your eyes and trying to sound intimidating.

"Would you believe me if I told you that I'm a time traveller myself?" He grinned maniacally, turning around and picking up soda cans to stuff into a plastic bag.

"You?" Your tone came out disbelieving.

"Yes, me."

"Still doesn't explain how you knew."

"I saw you looking through the veil just now."

"Just now?" You raised your brows, growing more suspicious of him," That happened months ago."

"That's just how time works."

"Huh," you watched as he shuffled busily, tying up his bag.

"That's a nice bracelet you have there, better keep it safe so that it doesn't get lost."

"What do you mean by that?" You unconsciously moved your hand behind your back to hide the bracelet.

"Here's a little tip," ignoring your question, his hands picked up some extra cans," All time travellers have a special "skill"-- most of the time it's small and useless, but it's still a "power" of some sort."

"And what's yours?"

His movements stopped after your question, making you wonder if you had said something wrong.

"I've said too much already. My, my, death does make a person chatty."

"Death? You mean, you know that you're gonna die?... Does that have something to do with your "skill"?"

"Yes, that's exactly it," he cackled," I'm going to get killed."

"By who?" Your fists were clenched as you swallowed dryly.

"Who?" The unkempt man turned around, a dangerous gleam in his eyes," By the brother of the boy you're trying to save now."

"Shinichiro?" You blinked when you realized the place he had been standing in mere seconds ago was empty.

"Can only stay for a short while," his voice echoed through the closed space, making your eyes dart around for the source.

Scanning the entire alleyway, you mulled over his words and lifted your wrist so that the white bracelet was dangling in front of your eyes.

Shinichiro is going to kill him? Why? And why did he tell me to keep this bracelet safe?

Furrowing your brows, you kept staring at the white trinket until small droplets of rain interrupted your train of thought, hitting you on the shoulders and head.