Chapter 8

8. Always Right Behind You

"And if life be, as it surely is,

A problem to me,

I am no less a problem to life."

-Oscar Wilde

....... ....... ....... ....... ....... ....... ......

"Kenchin, are you trying to turn your best friend into a mummy?" Averting your gaze as your blush deepened, you tried your best to not gawk at Mikey's revealed abs and muscles.

"No, I am not trying to turn your boyfriend into a mummy," the other boy replied as he grinned.

"You're blushing, (y/n)," Emma's voice came in teasingly as she entered the room.

"No, I am not!" You yelled, making them laugh," Can't I just go wait someplace else?"

"No, no. This is too much fun," the younger girl smirked," Besides, you have to take over. I have to go fix Draken's braids."

"Do you think you can do it?" Draken asked as he handed you the rolls of bandage he was rolling around Mikey's waist.

"I think so," you answered as you tried it out," Like this, right?"

"Hmm," he gave an approving nod as he watched the movement of your hand," Well then, I'm going."

He and Emma left the room, leaving you and Mikey alone. Mikey held his breath as he felt your fingers on his bare skin, trying your best to not mess anything up. 

You frowned as you undid a part of it," Is this really necessary? Seems like it takes up too much time and you're not even going to a fight."

"It's for extra points in the looks department," he replied offhandedly, making you laugh as your hands guided him to turn around. There was contemplative silence then, before he said his next words. "I think we should challenge Moebius to a brawl."

"Uhuh," you hummed in acknowledgement, focusing on the task at hand.

"I know you don't really like violence...so thank you. I guess for supporting me and believing that I can get to the top."

"You will, I know it," you smiled, standing up, and gave him a small peck on his lips," I love you."

"I love you too," he smiled," And I'll protect you from anything that tries to harm you."

"I know that you will," you held his hands," Now, let's go, shall we?"

☆*: .。.  .。.:*☆: .。.  .。.:*☆: .。.  .。.:*☆

By the time you arrived at Musashi Shrine, your whole face was burning from riding behind Mikey while he was shirtless and only with his Toman overcoat. Baji was the one to greet you and he noticed how flustered you were acting at once.

"What happened, (y/n)?" His eyes went between you and Mikey, trying to make it obvious that he knew what was going on.

"Nothi-"

"You'll be excited to hear what happened just before we came," Emma interrupted before you could answer and began telling him all that had transpired before the drive here.