𝟎𝟎𝟑 | We Are Warriors

· · ─────── ·✞· ─────── · ·

When Emmalyn woke up, her head was throbbing and her body ached but she was lying on something soft. She blinked her eyes open and refused to move as she woke from forced unconsciousness, she took in slow breaths in hopes to not cause her ribs further pain. The sound of rustling alerted her, she jumped up despite her body refusal but the one standing before her was someone she hadn't expected to see. "M-Merle?" Emmalyn whispered, her throat was dry and the lack of using her voice was catching up to her. "Hey, Em," Merle replied to her, he had aged that was for sure. But that same mischief glinted in his eyes as he sat by the cot, gently pushing her back down onto the cot to ease her wounds.

"You are on bed rest, Em," Merle told her with a certain warning glare, "I bought the jeep back after Boss man informed me of its whereabouts. Your stuff is safe." Emmalyn smiled softly before looking around, she turned her eyes back to Merle. "Where's Daryl?" Emmalyn whispered, the action enough strain as it was. "Out hunting. He doesn't know that you're here yet. I'll tell him when he gets back tonight," Merle answered her as he grabbed a water bottle, stuck a straw into it and held it out to Emmalyn. "It's good to see you again, Em. Just wish you were in a better condition," Merle said to her as he lightly brushed his finger against the bruise under her eye.

"These aren't from the accident, are they?" Merle asked her, she swallowed slowly allowing the cold water to soothe the dryness of her throat. "No..." Emmalyn answered him, her eyes growing misty from tears that wouldn't fall; she had cried enough for the pain of her past. "Where is he?" Merle asked through gritted teeth. "Dead..." Emmalyn whispered. "One of those things? The Walkers?" Merle questioned her and she nodded. "Don't talk much anymore?" Merle asked, she turned her head away and closed her eyes. Merle knew this side of her, she started falling into this back when she was younger but Jason had saved her from it before it got too bad.

"You just rest, Em," Merle instructed before grabbing a pack and climbing out of the tent, he zipped it up and walked away leaving Emmalyn to her own thoughts. She took the time to process everything that had happened, she pushed it aside and focused on happier memories of her childhood with the Dixon and Smith boys and allowed herself to fall asleep. Merle approached a man and woman standing by two other men and a child. "How is she?" The woman asked him. "She's as good as she can be. Don't talk much but the same Emmalyn I knew," Merle answered Lori Grimes despite the dislike he held to the others, she and her son, Carl were the ones who convinced the boss man, Shane to bring Emmalyn back.

"That's good news," One of the men told Merle with a nod of his head. "It is, Dale. Now I just gotta pass the news to Daryl," Merle told Dale who frowned slightly. "How long will it be till she's healed up?" The other man asked. "Not sure but knowing Emmalyn, she'll be walking around in no time despite her injuries," Merle replied to him. "Come on, Glenn," Dale told the man, Glenn nodded before the two walked away. "Can I see her?" Carl asked Merle. "She's resting kid, let her rest," Merle replied to him before walking away to work out how damaged Emmalyn's beloved jeep really was from the accident; he kept the supplies inside hidden.