𝟎𝟎𝟓 | Under Pressure

· · ─────── ·✞· ─────── · ·

Emmalyn blinked her eyes open, slowly adjusting to the brightness as her head throbbed leaving her confused as she tried to process what had happened. She pushed herself up to lean against the wall of the van, the others watching her cautiously as she looked around noticing the missing face in the crowd of people; her mind putting the pieces together as her head snapped to look at Morales, the man lowered his head in guilt from her harsh glare. Emmalyn climbed into the empty front seat and rested her head against the window; What the hell was she going to tell Daryl? How could she have left Merle behind?

Emmalyn could feel Rick's occasional glances as she pointed out the way back to the Quarry, she caught his gaze and he raised a brow making her shake her head in confusion. "I haven't heard you speak at all..." Rick questioned making Emmalyn shrug as Morales spoke up, "She doesn't talk, she hasn't spoken a word to anyone since she arrived and she's been around for two months. Only Merle has ever heard her speak..." Emmalyn sent a nod towards Morales though he knew she needed time to actually forgive him. "Well, thanks for the help and... I'm sorry about Merle," Rick told Emmalyn, he felt terrible but the woman sent him a grateful smile.

When they pulled up to the campsite, Emmalyn made her way over avoiding the others before spotting Carl and Lori talking to each other as everyone reunited around her; Morales hugged his wife and kids, Andrea and Amy embraced each other while T-Dog and Jacqui were greeted by Dale and Jim. Emmalyn spotted the car that Glenn drove sitting in front of the RV with its hood up, she guessed that someone had disabled the alarm that way. Emmalyn walked over to Lori and Carl before she crouched down allowing Carl to run into her arms.

Emmalyn held Carl tight as he whispered, "I miss my dad. I wish he was here." She ran her fingers through his hair and pulled away enough to look him in the eyes but as she went to speak for the first time in hopes to reassure the boy, his gaze focused behind her causing his eyes to widen. Emmalyn turned her head to see Rick slowly walking towards the group, he looked around before his gaze focused on the little boy staring up at him. "DAD!?" Carl screamed as he ran passed Emmalyn and practically leaped into Rick's hands, Emmalyn stood up and smiled warmly at the sight as Lori was pulled into the embrace. "Would you look at that," Dale commented with a smile on his face.

"A small world after all," Dale added as Glenn joined the two. However, Emmalyn's curious gaze turned to Shane who was tense at the sight before him, his eyes going from Rick to Lori like he was watching his world fall apart. She wasn't stupid, she knew that Shane and Lori had been hooking up and that Shane had stepped up to be a father to Carl; which was okay under the belief that Rick hadn't survived without the machines keeping him alive. But the cracks were forming under pressure with this new revelation that ruined the picture perfect life that Shane had been living in. And everything in her warned her that Shane's sanity would only last for so long.