𝟎𝟏𝟏 | High Hopes

· · ─────── ·✞· ─────── · ·

Emmalyn opened her eyes slowly and looked out the window as she yawned, the car came to a stop as Daryl wanted to ditch the truck due to their lack of petrol. "Mornin'," Daryl spoke up as he turned to her, she smiled at him before they grabbed their bags and threw them into the RV with Dale. Emmalyn smiled happily as she climbed onto the back of the motorcycle that originally belonged to Merle, her arms wrapped around Daryl's torso comfortably and they were back on the road. Emmalyn's eyes watched the surrounding nature that presented itself beautifully despite the threat of dead littering the fields and cities; she was again reminded how nature would continue even without humans tending to it.

It wasn't long until they reached the highway graveyard that blocked their way, Daryl continued ahead of the RV to search for a way through but they didn't find any way out for the cars though a few Geeks were hanging around. "This is not good," Emmalyn told Daryl who nodded in agreement with her. They headed back to the others and Emmalyn frowned as she spoke, "Doesn't look like there will be much room for the cars to get through. May need to take that exit we passed and go around." Rick sighed, he had been concerned about that. Their attention was taken as the RV sputtered to a complete stop and shut off telling them all they needed to know, without a new radiator hose, the RV was going nowhere.

Emmalyn could hear Rick and Shane talking, the latter mentioned a gas station up ahead that he and T-Dog were gonna go check out for fuel. She approached Carl and Sophia, Lori was smiling at her as she pulled the two into a tight hug. "Would you go with Carl? He wants to scavenge for any supplies that could be useful but I'm helping Carol," Lori asked with a small smile. Emmalyn nodded with a smile before reaching out for Carl's hand, he took it and as they turned away, Lori spoke, "Stay within Emma or Dale's sight please." The boy agreed to his mother's request before he and Emmalyn walked away to search for any supplies they could find; Emmalyn and Carl spoke about random things as she broke free some useful toys that Carl pointed out.

Emmalyn was searching through a car parallel to Carl when someone put their hand over her mouth startling her, she turned to see Daryl with a panicked expression. "Grab Carl and get under the car," He whispered quickly before glancing over at the large herd of geeks coming our way. Emmalyn quickly kissed Daryl before grabbing Carl and dragging him under the car closest to them, she held him tight with her hand on his mouth as he cried. She spotted Rick holding Sophia a short distance away, her gaze soon landing on Daryl who was laying under a geek with T-Dog beside him doing the same. Geeks stumbled past causing Carl to whimper before moving closer to Emmalyn, she tried her best to soothe him as her heart raced.

· · ─────── ·✞· ─────── · ·

Once the geeks thinned out, Emmalyn helped Carl out from under the car and ushered him to his mother before turning at the sound of a scream, Sophia had ran off into the woods with two walkers chasing after her. Emmalyn pulled out her knife and ran after her with Rick following behind her, she quickly grabbed Sophia and covered her mouth while Rick lured the Geeks away from them. Once she felt it was safest, they followed the path back to the highway when groaning caught their attention. Sophia shrieked as three Geeks approached them from the brush, Emmalyn pushed for Sophia to run and they both took off in the opposite way of the highway and away from the direction Rick had gone.