𝟎𝟎𝟎 | Downside of Growing Up

· · ─────── ·✞· ─────── · ·

On the twenty-seventh of August, 1981, Emmalyn Jayde Tate was born into the world to Zacharias Tate and Alice Tate ńee Moore. She was a beautiful girl who laughed upon entering the world, the doctors had told Alice that her daughter had been destined to be a happy baby. Emmalyn's first ten years of life were filled with happy memories of family movie nights, sunny beach days and little dance battles in the family living room. Many photos littered the walls of these moments mixed with the art pieces that Emmalyn had created growing up, her skills in art had expanded into noticable territory.

By the age of nine, Emmalyn had painted a piece of art that ended up in a museum in Atlanta, Georgia. The young girl had become known by her pen name Cherry Blossom to protect her identity but the locals knew exactly who painted the beautiful silhouette of a woman standing on a red beach shore. And that's how Emmalyn met her first friend, Mila Halcot. The Halcot family had moved in next door to the Tate family in 1989 and the daughters of each family had become the best of friends. Mila and Emmalyn were pretty much inseparable with Mila's big brother, Christian protecting and doting on the both of them.

Everything changed after Emmalyn turned eleven. Zacharias lost his job as the company had shut down, due to this, the Tate family said their farewells to the Halcot's and moved into Alice's parents home in a small redneck town in Georgia. It wasn't so bad at first for the young girl, she went to a new school and made a couple good friends despite none of them being as important to her as the Halcot siblings who she still wrote to. Zacharias got a decent job as the local mechanic, something he had done during his teen years and the family settled into their home. The neighbours weren't the friendliest and the kids on the block were older and harsher but it was a roof over their heads.

· · ─────── ·✞· ─────── · ·

By 1993, the Tate family home had gone from a loving place to a nightmare for Emmalyn Tate. Zacharias Tate had completely given up on life, he had joined the crowd of redneck drunks and over time, his love for his wife and daughter faded into a disdain for them; blaming them for his failures in life. Emmalyn didn't see many fights at first, it started as voices on the opposite side of her door as she drew in her sketchbook. And then, it became screaming matches between two strangers, their love had completely fallen apart and the twelve-year-old Emmalyn Tate was left confused on how two people in love could change in such little time.

The screaming turned into something more physical within a year, Emmalyn had watched first-hand as her former loving and compassionate father slapped his caring and supportive wife across the face; all she did was make meatloaf instead of steak. The hits kept coming after that day, Alice did everything she could to protect her daughter from the new monster that lived within their home. Emmalyn's drawings had gone from happy and bright colours to shades of grey and red matching the storms that lurked within her own home; And no buyer wished for her art anymore as she had apparently lost her happy spark.