𝟎𝟏𝟐 | Don't Let Me Down

· · ─────── ·✞· ─────── · ·

When Emmalyn blinked her eyes open, the first thing she noticed was the run-down roof above her and she initially thought she was back in the Dixon shack. But when she looked to her left, there was no portrait of a cherry tree which meant she was not in the Dixon shack, she turned her head to the right and saw Sophia sitting beside her with the pocket knife tight in her hands, her eyes locked on the door that had a desk pushed against it. "Sophia?" Emmalyn whispered gaining the girl's attention. "You passed out and... I dragged you here and... I could hear the -- monsters growling... and I didn't know--" Emmalyn reached her hand out to the girl, and she took it instantly.

"You did so good, Sophia. I'm so proud of you," Emmalyn whispered to her genuinely before she pushed herself to sit up against the wall. "Hand me the knife, Soph," Emmalyn spoke gently, the girl did so and watched as Emmalyn used the knife to cut away the material of her camo pants turning them into short shorts. Emmalyn then removed the shirt from her wound, using what she could to wipe up the mess and take notice of the red surrounding it. With the material of the uncut side of the pants, she turned it into a makeshift bandage and tightened it, wincing and hissing as she did so but keeping the deep wound clean was all she could do.

"Is there anything in the shack?" Emmalyn asked Sophia who shook her head with a frown. "It's empty," Sophia told her with a sniffle, "I heard a gunshot earlier." Sophia wrapped her arms around herself as she looked around in paranoia. "No one would risk a single shot for the dead... hopefully everyone is okay," Emmalyn told the girl truthfully, she peeked out of the gap in the wall to see the sun was up. "We need to get to the highway," Emmalyn told Sophia before pushing herself to stand up from the ground, she took careful breaths as she leaned against the wall. Sophia watched the older woman with worry in her eyes but it seemed that Emmalyn was going to push through the pain no matter what.

· · ─────── ·✞· ─────── · ·

The two had been walking through the woods for a while now, Emmalyn was limping with every step and Sophia held the pocket knife in her hand tight while looking around and keeping an eye on Emmalyn who was tense. "Do you think they're still there?" Sophia asked Emmalyn softly, sniffling lightly as she pushed the tears away. "I'm sure they are and if not, they will have left something behind for us," Emmalyn assured the young girl, she took notice of Sophia's tears. "Hey..." Emmalyn stopped them and she turned to the girl, "I'll get you back to your mom, Sophia. I'd give up my life for you, sweetheart." Sophia looked up at her with a sniffle, "But you haven't promised..." She sighed before running her fingers through Sophia's hair.

Emmalyn wasn't a big fan of making promises to children, breaking a child's promise was a very painful thing for them; she would know that personally. "Because sometimes people can't keep their promises and that can hurt someone and I don't want to hurt you," Emmalyn replied to her. Sophia's eyes glistened with fresh tears making Emmalyn's heart clench, Emmalyn sighed before cupping Sophia's face in her hands, "I can't promise you will get back to her but I can promise to do everything in my power to try." Sophia managed a small smile at that, Emmalyn kissed the top of her head before they continued on their way towards the highway.