𝟎𝟎𝟕 | I Fall Apart

· · ─────── ·✞· ─────── · ·

The next morning, everyone worked together to clear the dead from the campsite. It was the quietest the survivors had ever been and it was unnerving to Emmalyn who usually kept silent herself, the only noise she could hear was the occasional sniffle or weep from the others. Emmalyn had climbed out of the Dixon tent after Daryl, she looked around at the mess of dead and torn tents with a frown on her face, she felt awful for the families affected by this attack that was probably caused by the alarm of the car. Glenn was the first to notice the look of horror on the silent woman's face, he frowned and turned his head to Rick and motioned towards her.

"Emma, are you okay?" Rick asked softly as he carefully approached her, she looked up at him as a single tear fell down her cheek and she nodded. "Why don't you go see Carl, he wanted to wake you up but didn't want to frighten you awake," Rick encouraged, she nodded and he squeezed her shoulder before moving to help the others. Emmalyn looked over to Carl who was sitting with Lori, Carol and Sophia. The two kids looked heartbroken as their mothers tried to pull their attention away from the death that was scattered throughout their former safe campsite on the Quarry.

"Morning, Emma," Lori greeted with a soft smile on her face, the ginger sent her a half smile before kneeling down in front of Carl, she cupped his face in her hands. "I'm okay," Carl whispered to her, she nodded and hugged him, kissing the top of his head before hugging Lori into the group. "We're okay," Lori assured her, her eyes focused on Rick and Daryl who were watching. "She didn't have a good family, did she?" Rick asked Daryl who sighed. "She had me and Merle," Daryl answered him. Rick felt horrible for what happened with Merle, he made a promise to himself that he'd protect Emmalyn through anything and everything; she was his family now.

· · ─────── ·✞· ─────── · ·

Emmalyn had decided to help the others with the removal of Geeks and the transfer of the dead to the graves that Jim had been digging up on the hill. They had to ensure that the dead stayed dead, going around and stabbing them in the head to make sure they were no longer a danger; Emma felt sick to her stomach for doing it but it was better to be safe than sorry. After some time, Emmalyn had joined Daryl's side as he was stabbing the people in the heads to ensure they were dead, he wouldn't let her help having noticed how it was affecting her; they had plenty of people who could do it instead of her. And when they got to Ed, Carol made her way over to do it herself.

Emmalyn watched the woman as she swung the weapon multiple times into her husbands head, the man had been abusive and the signs were obvious considering he didn't shy away from showing it. Emmalyn knew how Carol felt, that relief that he was gone but the pain of his loss despite it all. Once she was done, she handed the pickaxe back to Daryl, sniffled before walking away from the scene. Emmalyn brushed away her own tears and walked forward to help Daryl move Ed's body but he stopped her, holding her wrist gently. "Ye okay?" Daryl asked her softly, he watched her cautiously. "I don't know," Emmalyn whispered to him, "I will be."