Chapter One: Charlotte's POV

A/N: Hellooo!! So, this is my first fanfic so pls go easy on me :) Just to warn you, Eleanor Calder, Louis' girlfriend isn't in this. It's not that I'm a hater, it just makes it easier :)

****************

I left school at three in the afternoon. Strictly speaking, school doesn't finish until half three but I'm a sixth former and I'm on Flexitime so I can cut out early if I need to. Which I do. My eleven year old sister, Ellie, is in hospital, dying from Lung Cancer. My parents are both dead, which means that Ellie is all alone until I get there. I hugged my two bestest friends, Sophia and Lake goodbye and walked quickly outside and into the car park. I jumped into my little red fiat and drove to the hospital, stopping off at Tesco on the way to buy Ellie some decent food.

I signed myself in at Reception once I arrived at the hospital and speed walked into room 253. I opened the door and grinned at Ellie. She was lying there, fast asleep, her shaven head propped up against the pillows. I walked over to the bed and sat down on a hard plastic chair, just as Sarah, Ellie's favourite nurse, walked in. She smiled at me and we hugged.

"How's she doing?" I asked Sarah softly.

"She's okay, well as okay as it's possible to be, given the circumstances." I nodded and looked at a green leaflet as it was handed to me. 'MAKE A WISH FOUNDATION'.

"They've chosen to sponsor Ellie." Sarah explained to me. I nodded and smiled at Ellie as she opened her amber coloured eyes. I kissed her forehead and she snuggled into me. Her head was resting on my lap and her arms were wrapped around my waist. I stroked her forehead and she smiled as I told her about my day.

"So, how was your day?" I asked Ellie. She shrugged.

"Same old, same old." she replied. I kissed her head again and handed her the leaflet. I smiled as her eyes widened when she read it.

"Is this for me?!" she asked. I nodded and a massive grin lit up her face. She took a ballpoint pen from the side and filled in the form.

'NAME: ELLIE PATCHFORD

AGE: 11

DOB: 1/4/01

CONDITION: TERMINAL LUNG CANCER

WISH: PLEASE CAN I MEET ONE DIRECTION?'

That was it. That was her dying wish. To meet One Direction. I smiled and hugged her. I handed her a Galaxy Bar from the bag of shopping and she ate it quickly. She offered a piece to me.

"Want some?" she asked. I shook my head.

"Nah, it's yours honey." I said. I don't normally eat anyway. I have anorexia. And depression. And malnutrition. And a broken ribcage. All because of my stupid ex, Davie. He used to beat me, hence the broken ribs, and my way of coping was by not eating, hence the anorexia and malnutrition. And, obviously, the depression comes from having to watch your little sister die.

Sarah chose that moment to walk in. Ellie obediently let Sarah poke her with needles before slumping back against the pillows, seemingly exhausted. I smiled at her and kissed her head.

"Go to sleep, gorgeous." I said. "I'll be right here when you wake up." Ellie did as I said and closed her eyes. She was fast asleep instantly. I handed Sarah the form.

"Please try and make it come true." I begged her. Sarah nodded and walked out, ruffling my hair as she went.