An Artist's Eye // B.B.

Pairing: Benedict Bridgerton x Fem!Reader

Warnings: mentions of food and drink, pining, mutual pining, sketching, art, drawing (I am not an artist, I cannot draw a stick man so I apologise in advance), kissing.

Word count: 1.8k

-------------

The graphite point sits heavy in his hand as Benedict struggles to remember the lines he needs. With only his memory to aid him, Benedict struggled more with the portraits he preferred to draw than the landscapes that were growing increasingly popular among the highest of London society.

Sighing, Benedict presses his fingers to his eyes as if it will help jumpstart his memory to bring forward the correct image he needs. He regrets the action as quick as he had done it when he thinks of the mixture of graphite and charcoal coating his fingers.

Rubbing his face with the sleeve of his shirt, he feels a moment of pity for the servants who would no doubt grumble and complain at the state of it. However, as he glances down at the sketch – the arch of his subject's smile, the depths of their eyes – he cannot bring himself to care too much.

It wouldn't see the light of day. Once complete, the sketchbook would be tucked away in the drawer in his desk. If it was to fall into the wrong hands, then as much as he is confident of his artistic talent, he would not recover from the fallout. Benedict worries for the day that the look in your eyes changes; once you realise the extent of his feelings for you.

He hadn't meant to fall in love with you, but he had. There were a lot of things in Benedict's life that he hadn't meant to do and has regretted completing such an action once done. However, he cannot find in himself to feel bad about fall in love with you even when had not meant to.

As much as he puts on airs and graces, he would not approach you with his feelings. He wasn't ready though you made his heart sing like no other.

One day, he tells himself as he finally remembers the swoop of your neckline. One day he will tell you as he picks up his graphite point and charcoal once more.

Not yet, however.

--------

The drawing room remains quiet as Benedict silently adds to his sketch collection. His mother sits across the room, content with a stitching pattern for the arrival of Daphne's new baby. Eloise lounges on the couch, a book in her hand and a box of chocolates on her stomach, eyes pouring over the pages hungrily.

The only sound in the room is the roughness of his pencil on the paper. It didn't matter what angle he approached this drawing at, he could not get it to look right. It was going to vex him until he had bested it.

"Miss (Y/N) (Y/L/N) has arrived," The Butler announces to which Benedict suddenly sits up straighter, closing his sketchbook, leaving it on the table.

"Wonderful," Violet Bridgerton smiles, "Show them up, please."

"I didn't know (Y/N) was calling today," Benedict comments lightly as the Butler disappears from the room, trying to sound as if his heart isn't currently pounding in his chest.

"(Y/N) always calls on a Thursday," Eloise states, voice puzzled. She shares a look of confusion with her mother when Benedict suddenly stands, announcing to them both, "I shall clean myself up a bit, make myself look presentable for our guest."

The look of confusion soon turns into one of understanding as both women watch their son and brother dash from the room. As if at the same time, a smile crosses both their faces when they realise that their beloved son and brother has fallen in love and with a dear friend of the family too.