Home // C.B. [BLURB]

The night had been a disaster. From the very moment you had entered the room, you had been preyed upon by the notorious gossips of London society, desperate to trip you up at every step.

They had succeeded. They had sniggered behind their fans when you spoke out of turn with Lord Scarborough. They had rolled their eyes when you repeatedly stepped on Colin's toes through the Minuet and the Waltz.

By the end of the night, Lady Featherington and her friends had reduced you to quiet tears in the back of your carriage. Colin watching on; furious at how helpless he feels.

"I can't do anything right," You murmur, covering your face with your hand to hide the tears forming in your eyes. "I fell for every trick in the book."

"Darling," Colin whispers, reaching out for you across the carriage. He settles next to you, gathering you in his arms. "They're vultures," He states furiously, "They pick on whomever they can find. I'm sorry you had to experience it."

"I must have humiliated you," You whisper, hiding your face in Colin's shoulder, cheeks burning with admission.

"Never," Colin spits. He grasps your face in his hands, thumbs brushing your cheekbones. "You could never humiliate me."

"I just did," You complains, tears beginning anew. "I didn't know what to say, I didn't know how to act. I'm not made for this society, Colin."

"Hush," Colin comforts, brushing a kiss against your cheek. "That's what I love about you," He murmurs, bringing you closer to him, "I love the fact that you aren't made for this society. You remind of what it means to be so individual, so unique."

"I'm going to be the talk of the town. Lady Whistledown is sure to write about me in her column."

"Damn her," Colin swears, disregarding his company. "For all that you are, and all that you will be - you will forever be worth more than that gossip sheet."

"This will come back to haunt you too, Colin. Are you truly sure this is worth it?" You ask, gesturing between you and the Bridgerton who had so readily captured your heart.

Colin reels back for a moment as if he'd been struck in the face. He frowns, unable to comprehend your words. He remains silent for a moment; getting a hold of the emotions range through his body, he didn't know how to react, he hadn't expected such words to leave your lips. From the very moment he had found you, he knew you were the one with which he would live out the rest of his days. Call it a tiresome cliche, but Colin had fallen in love with you at first sight so to hear such doubt in your voice - it cut him to the quick.

After a bout of silence, Colin murmurs, "You're my home."

"What?"

"You're my home," Colin states firmly, "I know it's worth because I look at you and I feel at home. I look at you and I feel nothing but love and happiness. I don't care about the ton, I don't care about Lady Featherington and her vicious friends. I only care about you and whether you're happy with me." He pauses for a breath. "Are you happy with me?"

Wordlessly, you nod. It starts slow but as the happiness rushes through your veins your nodding becomes more frantic before you reach for Colin, wrapping your arms around his neck, pulling him down for the kiss you've so desperately craved all night.