winged cupid painted blind // A.B.

Pairing: Anthony Bridgerton x Fem!Reader

Warnings: she/her pronouns, female reader, class divides, pining, mutual pining, lots of fluff, dancing, kissing, happy ending, Anthony in love.

Word count: 7.7k

-------

Madame Delacroix's took up the central property on the most prosperous street coming just off of Grosvenor Square. The most popular modiste in London, many of society's richest families flocked to her door in order to claim their own dress made by the talented seamstress.

Anthony sighs as he climbs down from the carriage. His mother must be in a particular benevolent mood to send him to pick up her newest dress from the modiste. Anthony would much rather be spending his day at his club, but he finds himself ringing the modiste's bell for service.

"Monsieur Bridgerton!" Madame Delacroix smiles, delighted at the sight of the Viscount. "How can I help you?" She asks, her smile turning flirtatious.

Anthony responds with his own flirtatious smile. "I'm here to pick up a dress for my mother."

"Of course, of course," Madame Delacroix sings, "I have it over here. I finished it last night. It is divine!"

"My mother will surely thank you," Anthony states earnestly, his gaze dancing around the room filled to the brim with fabrics and ribbons, models and hoops.

"No need," Madame Delacroix, "The Bridgertons are my best customers."

Anthony takes the offered box, marvelling at the lightness of its weight. For all the skirts, for all the numerous pieces of fabric that go into making a dress, Anthony will always remain shocked at the featherlight weight of it.

"Will Lady Bridgerton be wearing this to the Hastings' ball tonight?" The modiste asks, her tone light as she tries her best to keep the burning curiosity out of her voice.

"Most likely," Anthony smiles, tipping his head in goodbye.

The modiste calls out her goodbyes as Anthony walks out the door. He doesn't pay much attention to where he is going; only knowing that he needs to turn left in order to reach his carriage. The very thought has him rushing, safe in the knowledge that the quicker he got his done, the quicker he would be at his club.

It's that self-indulgent thought that had Anthony distracted enough to walk into something hard.

"Oh!" A feminine voice gasps as Anthony catches her elbow whilst keeping a tight hold on the dress box.

"My apologies," Anthony offers, steadying the unknown woman.

"You're forgiven," She murmurs dryly, turning her attention back to the seamstresses window.

"You aren't hurt, are you?"

"No, I'm perfectly fine. Thank you for your concern, Lord Bridgerton."

"My pleasure, Miss..."

"(Y/L/N)."

"My pleasure, Miss (Y/L/N)," Anthony repeats, adjusting the dress box in his hands. He goes to say something else but notices her slyly counting the money in her purse, watching her frown when she realises she cannot afford the prices set by Madame Delacroix.

"Have a nice day, Lord Bridgerton," Miss (Y/L/N) remarks, stepping away from the Viscount to begin her walk home. She didn't need a Viscount to be witness to her money troubles; she had thought she had enough, but the prices must have been increased since the last time she had wandered past the window. It would be another two weeks of saving before she could afford a new set of ribbons; it wasn't worth it at this point, she sighed to herself.