Once In A While // A.B. [BLURB]

The picnic was in full swing; the many colourful dresses of eligible ladies decorating the grass as if freshly bloomed flowers. Laughter filled the air as did conversations over eligibility and the first water diamond of the season. It was all anyone could talk about it; who the Queen preferred and what was to be done about it.

You turn your focus away from such conversations for the time being to look for your dear husband. Anthony had helped the Bridgerton family set up before quickly departing, finding himself caught up in a conversation with a business partner.

You had left him to it, not wanting to disturb him. However, when you find your husband now, he's speaking to Lady Blackwood. Anthony smiles at the woman as her hand strokes the forearm of your husband; she was clearly flirting with him and he was utterly oblivious.

Jealousy settles deep within your gut, cutting off your appetite. For a moment, you watch the woman fawn over your husband. You watch her clutch at her pearls as Anthony regales a story from wherever; she acts the innocent but from your place at the picnic, you can clearly see her plan.

It was time to put a stop to it.

"Anthony, darling." You call, glaring at the woman currently hanging onto every word your husband utters.

Anthony excuses himself from the woman; missing the way her face falls at his departure. Anthony smiles at you warmly, "Darling, how can I help?"

"Nothing," You murmur innocently, "I just missed you."

Anthony narrows his eyes; an odd answer for you. Neither of you particularly shied away from public displays of affection; Anthony telling you often how much he loves in the presence of many a people, but you had never called him away from a conversation to declare you were missing him.

Unless.

Anthony glances between you and the departing figure of Lady Blackwood. He takes in the furrow of your eyebrow and the displeased look in your eye as you watch the older lady walk away, her attention already caught on a much younger man.

"You're jealous, aren't you?" Anthony laughs, raising a single eyebrow.

"I'm not!" You protest, pushing down the urge to stomp your foot.

Anthony wraps his arms around your waist, pressing a kiss to your temple before whispering in your ear. "Yes, you are."

"Fine," You huff, crossing your arms, "What if I am?"

"Then I'm incredibly flattered," Anthony whispers, kissing you just below your earlobe.

"You should be," You huff. "I had to stop myself from walking over to her."

Anthony laughs. "That is something I would have paid good money to see."

You tap your husband on the shoulder in good nature. One hand leaving your waist, he captures your free flying hand and presses a kiss to each individual finger. "You have nothing to worry about," Anthony murmurs, "My heart belongs to you and only you."

"I know that," You state firmly. "But," You sigh, sinking into your husband's embrace, "It is nice to hear it once in a while."