at the end of the day // A.B.

Warnings: light angst, an argument, happy ending, jealousy.

-------

The tea rooms had never been so busy; the cold weather that comes with the start of October drawing people in their droves to the cosy, welcoming lights of the numerous cafes and tea rooms that line the streets of London.

The atmosphere is warm inside the shop. The combined scents of freshly roasted coffee and dark chocolate enveloping you in a comforting hug as you take a seat at your usual table, just off to the side of the main fireplace – close enough to feel the warmth, but far enough to not boil by its side.

Your dearest friend, Cecilia Shepherds, joins you minutes after you sit. She enters in a whirl of burgundy skirts and amber perfume, a wide smile on her face as she spots you in your usual place.

"(Y/N)!" She greets happily, taking the empty seat across from you. "How are you? How is your beau?"

"I'm very well, so is Anthony," You answer between light laughter. Cecilia had always been one to lighten your mood. "How are you? How is dear Edward?"

"Edward is well. He's home today, spending time with the new babe which naturally makes me nervous," Cecilia admits; her eyes shining with unbridled happiness as she bites her bottom lip.

"This is your fourth child," You remind her gently. "You're both experts now. I'm sure Edward will be fine."

"I know he will be," Cecilia sighs, "But still – a mother worries."

You roll your eyes playfully at your dearest friend, letting her light and airy laughter wash over you as she signals for the waitress, ready to order your traditional afternoon tea.

Conversation between the two of you flows naturally. Cecilia and yourself having come out as debutantes the same year, a bond was formed between the two of you – one that quickly blossomed into a close, true friendship. That same year, she had met her husband, Edward, and the two were quickly married – the both of them desperate to start their lives together. It took longer for you to find that someone; that person that made your heart pound, your breath stick in your throat and your stomach flip. You dreamed of the love written about by authors like Jane Austen.

You felt certain you had found it with Anthony.

The Midsummer Ball held at Lady Danbury's every season had been where you met Anthony for the first time. He had asked you to dance; desperate to escape the meddlesome plans of his beloved mother. From there, the both of you found yourselves enraptured with the other. By the end of the first dance, Anthony had asked you to dance another. It didn't take long for his heart to skip a beat, and for him to ask if he could see you again.

Months passed; an engagement promised, and a loving future so close you could taste it.

"Is that you, (Y/N)?" A shrill voice sounds from across the tea room, interrupting your conversation with your dear friend.

Turning towards the sound, your heart sinks in your chest as you spy Lady Jennifer Adams stalking her way across the room towards your table. A sly smile on her face, she is the personification of London gossip.

"I thought it was you!" Lady Adams laughs, patting your shoulder. "I even told dear Richard it has to be you and look at that! I was right!"

"Lady Adams," You greet, smiling politely. "How are you?"

"I've been well," Lady Adams answers, a malicious glint to her eye as she takes in your wardrobe. "Although I was saddened to hear about the end of your courtship with Lord Bridgerton."