Letters of Excuse // B.B. [BLURB]

Dinner at Bridgerton House became a weekly tradition not long after you had married Benedict. You found yourself welcomed into the loving arms of the large family, finding yourself involved in every conversation. When it was a family meal, proper etiquette was eschewed in favour of laughter and loud discussions.

Benedict sits across from you; his blue eyes sparkling as he reaches for his wine glass, looking the perfect picture of innocence as he nods along to his mother's speech. Violet Bridgerton always took a moment at every meal to thank her family for choosing to sit with her once a week; her children's devotion was something she classed as more valuable than the diamonds her dearly departed husband had bought for one of their too few anniversaries.

Without drawing too much attention to himself, Gregory nudges your side. You raise an eyebrow at the young man only for him to place a folded piece of paper into your hand.

You turn your questioning gaze on your husband, finding him focused intently on his dear mother.

"I really want to kiss you right now," is written in Benedict's elegant scrawl. Shocked, you cast your gaze to the author of this love note. You find the man already watching you with humour alight in his famously blue eyes.

Biting your lip, you lean to Eloise. "Can I borrow your pen?"

"What makes you think I have my pen on me?" She asks. You fix her with a look and the second eldest Bridgerton daughter sighs, handing over the writing instrument with a sad sigh. "Give me it back when you're done? Those things aren't cheap."

"Of course. The moment I'm done."

Eloise smiles gratefully before returning to her meal, drawing Colin into an argument over women's rights. You shake your head fondly at her before writing your response.

Folding it in half twice, you nudge Gregory with your elbow. The younger Bridgerton frowns at you; eyebrows furrowing as you tell him. "Hand this to Benedict and do not read it."

A wicked grin crosses Gregory's face as he passes the note to Benedict. You ignore the the look, focusing your attentions on the man sitting across from you as he takes the note from his youngest brother.

Benedict raises a single eyebrow in question as he unfolds the piece of paper in his hand. Glancing down, Benedict does his best not to draw attention to himself as he reads your neat handwriting: "Just say the word and I'm yours."

Benedict clears his throat, drawing the attention of Violet. "Darling," Violet coos, "Are you feeling okay?"

Benedict meets your stare for a second before stating, "I'm feeling rather nauseous. I think I'm going to retire for the evening, I don't want to bring the mood down."

Violet frowns; concern lighting her features. "Do we need to fetch the doctor? It wasn't the food, was it?"

Benedict shakes his head. "Absolutely not. I've been under the weather since this morning; a headache and dizziness. I just need to sleep it off."

"Alright," Violet sighs, "Ring if you need us."

Benedict nods; departing the room as fast as he convincingly could. You watch the space in which your husband had departed, counting the minutes in your head.

You wait five minutes before announcing. "I'll go see if Benedict made it back to our room just fine."

"Of course!" Violet smiles. "Pass on my love, will you?"

You smile, kissing the matriarch on the cheek, promising her you would. Gregory rolls his eyes at your actions which you return with a glare. He knew full well what was happening as did Eloise when she finds her pen next to her plate. They remain silent as you leave the room, trying their best to repress the laughter.

Upon leaving the room, you're tugged into an empty room by your husband. His lips find yours in the dark, hungry and desperate. You respond by wrapping your arms around his neck, tugging him closer, tasting the wine he had drank with dinner.

"You kept me waiting," Benedict whispers against your mouth, a hand undoing the pins in your hair, letting it tumble down your back.

"I'm here now," You respond, not letting him say anymore as you kiss him silent.