Pain in my Heart // B.B.

Pairing: Anthony Bridgerton x Fem!Reader (Platonic), Benedict Bridgerton x Fem!Reader (Romantic)

Warnings: pining, mutual pining, awful flirting (I can't write it for the life in me), unrequited love (?), a pride and prejudice moment, love confessions, fluff, very very light angst.

Word count: 4.7k

------

There wasn't a lot that Daphne and Eloise Bridgerton had in common. It was thought by their mother that due to their closeness in age, they would get along swimmingly. However, by the time that Eloise could speak for herself, it became increasingly clear that there were to be no two people different than that of Eloise and Daphne.

However, whilst the two did not share the same tastes in music or literature, they were united in the hope that they would see their elder brothers happily in love.

It is on a Wednesday in the middle of February when Daphne decides that it is time for her eldest brother, Anthony, to find a wife.

Her decision is made when Anthony stalks into the family drawing room. The only sign of his anger being the blazing of his eyes. Dramatically, he throws himself onto the closest couch, his legs stretching across the pale blue fabric as he laments the meddling of mothers.

Daphne barely represses the urge to roll her eyes. She could tell that Eloise was having a hard time not telling her brother how easy he had it in comparison to rights of women and marriage.

Thankfully, however, Anthony is saved from such a lecture by the announcement of a beloved friend. (Y/N) (Y/L/N) had known the Bridgerton family for as long as she had been alive. The same age as Daphne, the two had fallen into an easy friendship that grew more cherished the more time passed.

Upon her announcement, Anthony sits up with keen interest. An action not missed by both Daphne and Eloise – they share a look, one only understood by sisters with masses of brothers.

"Dear (Y/N)," Daphne greets, standing from her chair to greet her lifelong friend, "How have you been?"

"I've been very well though it has only been a couple of days since you saw me last."

Daphne laughs; a light and airy sound. "I can still miss you in that time. Come, sit by me and we can catch up."

The two women are soon joined by Eloise who places her book down on the table, spine up so she does not lose her page. From where they sit, neither Anthony nor Benedict can hear what the women seem to be whispering about though it seems to be of a serious issue with grave looks on their faces.

Benedict decides that he doesn't like the look of frustration on her face; the furrow of her brows. If it wouldn't raise questions of his sanity, he would press his thumb to the furrow, smoothing out her brow so not a trace of the worry remained.

"(Y/N)," Anthony calls, interrupting the conversation currently taking place between the three women, "Would you be attending Lord and Lady Hopton's ball later on this week? Lord Hopton has done nothing but discuss the expense being put into the event."

(Y/N) swallows her small sip of tea, placing the cup and saucer down on the table before answering the eldest Bridgerton. "I do plan on attending," She smiles, fiddling with her gloved fingers.

A pleased smile breaks out across Anthony's face as he nods. Turning away from her, Anthony walks back to the pale blue couch that only mere moments ago he had thrown himself across in vexation at his dear mother. Now, he sits down gently, making sure every ounce of his nobility is on show.

Benedict cannot help but roll his eyes at the antics of his elder brother. As if on a covert mission for the crown, Benedict's gaze slides back to her – runs over her figure, taking in the way her dress sits on her form and the way her smile lights up her whole face. He's a fool in love, he realises, but he would rather be a fool in love with her than a fool in love with anyone else.