Misunderstandings

Chapter Three

"Everything started two Tuesdays ago when I arrived home from work..." were the few words he said before he stop talking, he was so awkward and so nervous about telling me this that he grabbed the cup of cappuccino and gave it a sip without noticing that the cappuccino was boiling. His pale face -mostly his cheeks- turned crimson, his blue eyes started watering and there was a blank expression on his face. Suddenly, he opened his mouth and let out a sigh of hot steam, he whipped the tears off his eyes and continued letting sighs out of his mouth. I was supporting my elbows against the table watching how he was struggling to recover the breath; I quickly stood up and rushed to the cashier to buy him a bottle of cold water, when I came back to the table I handed the bottle of water to Robert who grabbed it desperately and literally sucked the water out the bottle while he closed his eyes, enjoying the sensation of coolness. He let out a sigh of relief and settled the bottle gently over the table sighing a "thank you" as he caught his breath. My phone rang and beeped before I could say anything, I elegantly excused myself and got out of the coffee shop to answer the call, it was freezing outside, I could see not so far away: some thick, heavy, grey clouds that were populating the blue sky announcing the upcoming of an electric or just a really, really heavy storm.

"Isabella Clark" I answered formally.

"Isabella, our newest partner. How are you?" Mr. Baizen's voice made me frown, we had just met hours ago, maybe they were un-hiring me?

"I'm good, thank you for asking. What's the reason of your call?" Oh, me always so charming.

"Well, the politics of the company say that once we hire a new employee we need to do certain paperwork. Which means that you need to submit to medical tests and other basic stuff like your residence, medical insurance among others, so the company can help you out in obtaining benefits if needed" his formal style of talking was the reason I wanted to become a lawyer, hearing too much informalities back in Montana was something I really wanted to kick out of my life.

"Sure mr. Baizen, it's just that I'm now currently working on obtaining an apartment and it may take some time" I said rubbing my arms to protect them from the frozen air of Munich.

"Don't worry about it Isabella, I'm more than sure that for Monday you will be moved in Germany. You have the word "effectiveness" tattooed on your forehead, I shall ask you only to submit to the medical checking and that would be all" he said.

"Thank you mr. Baizen, I promise to have already found an apartment for Monday" I replied without hiding the efficient tone on my voice.

After mr. Baizen hung up I was about to go back to the coffee shop but something soft and warm covered my shoulders and my upper body. I turned myself to see Robert smiling and wearing a denim t-shirt showing off his perfect silhouette, his jacket was so warm and cozy that I could have fallen asleep that same moment. The grey clouds made the day even colder, the freezing air of Munich transformed into a freezing breeze. I tried to remove the jacket, so Robert could protect himself from the upcoming storm that the grey clouds were announcing but he rejected the jacket and forced me to wear it.

"Don't even think about it, I'm not going anywhere if you don't wear my jacket" Robert said seriously.

"But Robert, it's freezing here!" I exclaimed.

"It's just 0 degrees, I've been living long enough here in Munich to bear this kind of climate, you should feel the coldness of December. That is what we call winter" was he kidding me? If this was normal for them, I will have to travel somewhere in December because I was not willing to bear that kind of coldness.

"Are you sure?" I said as he tucked his hands in his pockets and flexed the muscles of his arms.

"I saw you rubbing your arms from the window, I don't want you to catch a cold. Plus I've got a lot of jackets in my car" Robert smiled.