The Day It All Went Down

Chapter Eighteen

The sun shone brightly on that Saturday of April. The end of the winter and the arrival of spring had brought very nice bright and sunny days. Robert woke up early that day and prepared some granola for breakfast, he was feeling extra nervous and anxious which made me feel guilty for not staying with him through all the morning until his match. The day I decided to hold over all the meetings meant that I had to work on a Saturday. Robert didn't argue anything about it, but I could feel that he was mad at me. That day, I dressed up in a pair of jeans, my Bayern jersey, with the number 9 at the back, and a white blazer to go to the office.

"Look" I called Robert's attention. "I'm wearing your jersey."

"It looks cute on you" he smiled weakly while swinging aimlessly the spoon inside of the bowl with granola.

"What wrong Ro?" I pouted.

"Why did you have to work this specific day of the month?" Robert let it out. "The mere day I had this match."

"I'm also mad about it" I replied. "But, Francesco's traveling to Italy today and I need to inform him about the latest advances in his case."

"Leori" he uttered his name bitterly. "Alright, but are you sure you'll make it on time?"

"It'll be just an hour" I reassured him. "I will leave if it doesn't get done in a hour, even if that means loosing my job."

"I don't want you feel pressured or obliged to go" he said softly.

"Robert, I'm going because I want to" I said while holding his face between my hands and looking at him in the eyes. "I will make it on time, and I'll be in the right side of the stadium."

He shrugged and avoided eye contact. I sighed.

I kissed him in the forehead before leaving the house

I kissed him in the forehead before leaving the house. The telephone ringing sound accompanied me until I closed the door of the car. The lack of traffic made arrive to the office in amazing ten minutes, I got to my desk and prepared everything before Francesco arrived. I couldn't stop thinking about Robert, I wanted to be with him and hug him till he told me he wasn't nervous anymore. I looked outside the window to the Allianz Arena and looked how people in red and blue stripped jerseys began entering to the bowl-like infrastructure. Thousands of people were already there, two hours before the match, and I was here sitting in an empty office looking at them from the fourteenth floor.

I turned around when I heard a knock on the door. Francesco, on time as always, was beaming gracefully at me. Unlike other days, he was dressing casually, with a pair of khakis, a blue shirt and a gray woolen sweater. I stood up and invited him to enter, I served him a cup of coffee and we settled down in the little rounded table next to my desk. I'm pretty sure he was checking me out as I crossed the room to get to the little meeting table, thinking why was I dressing so informally. However, my thoughts were proven wrong when we sat down and he complemented my clothing, I blushed, but I managed to give the complement back and regain my composure.