twenty eight

The night went by somewhat slowly, many friends of the Potters bombarding the kids with questions about school, quidditch, and what their plans are for the future. Typical questions that adults ask that get old after the fifth or sixth time someone asks. 

The group stuck together which was nothing new, despite Greta and Remus wanting so badly to break away from the other three to take advantage of their newly formed romance. They wondered around the grand room, their spit count was up to around 14, and the amount of unhappy victims were even higher.

By 11:00 Peter was laying under a table groaning from eating a little bit of everything that was on the table and being walked around by house elves, all of which came from households of the guests present. Eventually the whole lot of them joined him in his little hiding spot, all laying side by side starring at the the bottom of the table, their feet poking out startling several people that walked by.

"Why did I do this again?" Peter groaned, referring to the years before when he ended up in the same position.

"Because youre you." Greta stated rather bluntly. 

"This happens at every event we go to that has food." Sirius pointed out.

"My New Years resolution is to stop over eating then."

"I give it a month." James bet.

"Two weeks." Remus offered.

"HEY!" Peter shouted, fake offended.

"The welcome back feast at school." Greta added.

"Im gonna go with Greta on this." Sirius said holding his fist across Remus, Greta fist bumping him from Remus' other side.

"You have no faith in me! I bet Ill go at least till Easter break."

The other four laughed but agreed, wanting to see just how dedicated Peter was to his resolution to help his stomach problems.

Suddenly James was pulled out from under the table, causing him to scream in shock. The other four quickly slid out from under the tabe to see Fleamont brushing off James' shirt, laughing to himself.

"You scared the living shit out of me!" 

"Your mother told me to come get you, says youre too old to be hiding under tables at her party." Fleamont explained. "I wouldve joined you if she wasnt so against it, I dont like half the people here." he whispered the last part so only the marauders could hear, making them all chuckle before a man around his age called him over to chat. Giving them all a help me look, he headed towards the balding man who was extremely red in the face.

"Its nearly midnight!" Sirius said checking his watch. "Gonna be my New Years smooch Jamsie?" 

He puckered his lips making gross sounding kissing noises in James direction, to which James leaned, pulling Sirius into a headlock laughing. Greta and Remus looked at each other, smiling awkwardly, which only Peter seemed to notice but didnt take it as anything meaningful.

A short ten minutes later, people began to count down from 60, signaling that they were about to enter 1977. Champange was passed around until every person in the room, including the five teens, was holding a glass.

"This is gonna be our year!" James shouted.

"You say that every year." Remus remarked.

"Shut up. To us!" Sirius cut in, holding his glass up.

"To us!" they all chorused, clinking their champagne glasses together.

3...

2...

1...

"HAPPY NEW YEAR!" every person in the room cheered, except Sirius who said a rather dirty word as he "didnt want his first word of the year to be 'happy' like everyone else".

The five laughed and hugged, wishing each other a happy new year, Greta planting a quick kiss on Remus' neck while they embraced, making sure nobody saw.

Remus could feel the heat in his face, not expecting the secretive kiss from her. Greta noticed this when she pulled away, the smile on her face grew larger as she pushed some of his hair out of his eyes. Despite the room being filled with people and noise, to Remus it felt like they were the only two people there, sharing a little, quick moment that nobody was paying any attention to.

Not even an hour after the year had begun, the Potters house was empty of guests except for Remus and Peter who would be staying for the next two nights. Around 1:30, Peter had drifted off to sleep, and James was on the verge of sleep along with Sirius, giving Greta the signal that it was time for her to depart to her own room as she much rather sleep in her heavenly bed just one room over than the floor. She said her good nights, wishing all of them a happy new year once more. As James and Sirius rolled over, she raised an eyebrow at Remus as if she was sending him a signal which he only half understood, nodding anyways, before leaving.

She changed from her red dress into pyjamas which was just an old tshirt which she wasnt entirely sure who the original owner was, and a pair of shorts. After wiping away the remainder of what little makeup she had on, and throwing her hair up into her usual bun, she made herself comfortable in bed, trying her hardest to stay awake, hoping Remus understood what she was trying to tell him.

Soon enough, her door creaked open slowly, and there Remus stood.

"Hey." he whispered, closing the door behind him quietly. "This is what the eyebrow thing meant right?"

"Yeah, I was worried you wouldnt understand."

"But here I am." he said sitting down on the bed.

"Here you are." she smiled, cupping his face gently and connecting their lips.

"Happy New Year." she said in a hushed tone, her forehead pressed against his.

"Happy New Year, love."

Greta grinned at the name, something she'd been called by many people many times, but never by Remus. Butterflies fluttered in her stomach and warmth spread across her cheeks. Remus felt this, his smile widening at the fact that he makes her feel the same way she makes him feel, something he never expected till a few short days ago.

There they sat for a long while, just chatting, until yawns occured more frequently, telling them it was time for bed. They said their goodnights, kissing each other once more before Remus left back to James' room.

Both Remus and Greta drifted off to sleep that night with goofy grins plastered on their faces. 

wc: 1053

a/n

new years 2/2 woo hoo! hope you enjoyed :) small short moment but yeah, imagine what you want.

thank you for 1K reads!!! im so excited :))))) glad to see people reading (and hopefully enjoying) what i put a lot of time into.

question of the day: do you set new years resolutions?

my answer: nope! i set goals throughout the year and i find i can meet them better that way!