8

CURRENTLY SAT IN SISTER MICHEAL'S office, the six teens patiently sit around her desk

CURRENTLY SAT IN SISTER MICHEAL'S office, the six teens patiently sit around her desk. They were waiting for her to get off the call she had made when they informed her of what they had witnessed.

It was clear to say that Sister Micheal didn't fully believe a word they said....although, to be fair, who really would? A bunch of teens who have previously gotten in trouble had now seen a miracle before their eyes and coincidentally near the time of their exams.

"Could you put me through to Sister Thomas, please? Tommy! How are you? Yeah, not too bad. On retreat? I don't know. I have judo on Friday. Don't like to miss it. Now, I'll tell you why I'm ringing you. So, we've had an alleged apparition here this morning. Well, it's in the weeping statue category. Sure, I know. Yeah, apparently there was a smirk as well. I mean I'm not sure what Our Lady of the Sorrows has to be smirking about, but that's by the by." Sister Micheal slightly spun in her chair and chuckled a little as she spoke.

The door to Sister Micheal's room was opened. "Sister, priest is here." The woman who had opened the door stated.

"I'll call you back." Sister Micheal ends her phone call. "Just a moment, ladies." She stands to open the door.

"Listen, girls. I didn't really think beyond the exam, or us getting out of doing it. Before this goes any further, before we talk to this priest, there is something I think you all need to know-" Erin begins to ramble on but stops when the door opens and the priest steps inside.

The priest walked into the room and it seemed as though he was in slow motion or something. "What the fuck?" Saoirse furrowed her brows as she was wondering why he was being so dramatic and why he was in slow motion.

"Fuck me." Michelle states in awe of the man. "I like his shiny hair." Orla whispered also in awe of the man. "So do I. I really like his shiny hair." James nodded in agreement.

All of them were dazed by this man, all except Saoirse. "What were you saying, Erin?" Clare ask as Erin had immediately shut up when the priest walked in.

"Nothing. Ignore me. Forget it." Erin shuts down her question not wanting

"Ugh, for fuck sake. You've got to be taking the piss." Saoirse groaned quietly noticing all of the teens, including James, practically drooling over this priest. He's not even that attractive. I've seen better looking people.

"Hello, children." The priest greeted them. "Hello, Father." They all hummed while Saoirse let out a bored "Hey."

"Please. Call me Peter." The now named priest formally introduced himself to them.

"Christ." Both Sister Micheal and Saoirse breathed out with a roll of their eyes.

Some time had past and the teens were still sat in Sister Micheal's office talking to Father Peter "This is just going to be a very relaxed, informal chat. I don't want you to think of me as a priest. Think of me as a friend. Look. Just like you now." He finished taking his white collar off.

Sister Michael and Saoirse were both bored out of the minds and rolling their eyes constantly at the priests words and actions.

"So, before we begin, do you guys have any questions for me?" Father Peter asked the group.

After a few pointless questions from Saoirse's friends, Father Peter reworded his previous question. "Does anyone have any questions about what happened in the church this morning?"

"No, I don't think so."

"No."

"No."

"Not really."

"No."

"Ye-I mean no." Saoirse answered falsely. She did have a question she wanted to ask and that was 'why did the church smell of piss?' But she thought that was an inappropriate thing to ask. She also thought the answer to that was probably old Maureen Melarkey.

Father Peter then began to discuss what he had been told that they had seen. "So you claim you saw our Blessed Lady's features change? Is that right?"

"The Virgin Mother smirked at us, Peter. Yeah, that is correct." Orla said nodding her head as she spoke. "I see. And after that, the statue, well, you claim it started weeping?" Father Peter questioned them further.

"You're using the word 'claim' a lot there, Peter." Clare outbursts, the caffeine still having a strong effect on her.

Father Peter just simply shock his head. "Girls, I'm not here to make any judgments. I'm just trying to get the truth."

"You think we're lying, don't you?" Clare uttered, her voices raising ever so slightly with each word. "No, of course not." Father Peter shook his head.

"I do." Sister Micheal's muttered which made Saoirse slowly nod her head and say "That's fair considering who it is and the timing of it all. I wouldn't believe us either if I were you."

"Saoirse!" Clare screeched.

"What? I wouldn't." Saoirse threw her hands up in the air in defence while a small smile made its way onto Sister Micheal's face as she watched the two teens bicker.

Disregarding the girls, Father Peter went on to talk."But sometimes we want to believe in something so much, that we willingly deceive ourselves. I mean, I know I've been guilty of that in the past. I wanted a sign so badly that it drove me to distraction, because it is the question we all want the answer to, isn't it? I mean, does God exist? I mean, does he exist? Does he? Or is your whole world built on a lie, Peter?"

Everyone in the room stared at the priest in confusion. "Is he talking to himself?" Saoirse whispered leaning into James who just shrugged in response. "Peter?" James tries to cut Father Peter out of his daydream.

"Yeah...Directly before the weeping, can you remember what you were doing, what you were talking about?" Father Peter continues with his questions like nothing had happened.

"I remember that James was being a dick." Michelle answers. "Miss Mallon." Sister Micheal begins to scold her for her language. "I don't like to use that word, Sister."

Saoirse fake coughs while muttering "Flithy liar." Michelle however ignore her and continues. "But it's so hard to describe James any other way, because he's just such a dick."

"I don't think you're a dick, James." Father Peter turns to a frowning James. "Really?" The curly haired boy questions.

"Really. And do you know who else doesn't think you're a dick?" Father Peter rhetorically asks the young boy. "Me." Saoirse slightly raises her hand to tired to properly raise it.

James sends her a soft smile but Father Peter shakes his head at her. "Our Lord." He answers his previous question.

"For feck's sake." Sister Micheal scoffed and rolled her eyes in unison with Saoirse."Uh, how do you know our Lord doesn't think he's a dick?" Michelle raises her eyebrows.

"Our Lord doesn't think anyone's a dick." Father Peter simply responds. "I very much doubt that." Michelle scoffs as Saoirse says "Aye, that's a lie."

"Well, it's the truth."

"No, it's not. What about the devil? He must think the devils a dick."