18

SAOIRSE WAS FUMING

SAOIRSE WAS FUMING. There is no way she was gonna sit down and listen to that twat. Last time she saw Father Peter she wanted to smack the shot out of him for what he said to James and the girls. Now here he was ruining her trip. "Okay, so I see a few familiar faces out there. As some of you may know, I took a bit of a sabbatical last year."

The moment he opened his mouth led to Saoirse bang her head on James' shoulder who she forced to sit next to her even though she was supposed to sit next to Aiden. She eventually stopped when James held her forehead in mid air preventing her from hitting it.

"Do you mean when you shacked up with a slutty hairdresser, but then she dumped you?" Michelle raised her voice for everyone to hear. "Miss Mallon, please! Raise your hand if you want to ask a question." Sister Micheal slightly scolded but her tone was very uncaring.

Michelle did indeed raise her hand to repeat the question. "Okay, I think we should just move on." Peter huffed. "The hairdresser certainly did." Sister Micheal retorted staring straight at the visibly irritated man, leading to Saoirse to let out a rather loud snort and laugh. "Sister Micheal, you are my favourite person." Saoirse laughs a little more when she met the man's angry gaze and a pleased nod from the woman next to him.

"Okay, so this is just a little exercise I like to kick off with." Peter began talking again and Sister Micheal immediately groaned out a 'give me strength', this time Saoirse shielded her giggles as she continued to watch the older woman roll her eyes.

"I want you guys to give me examples of things that Catholics and Protestants have in common and things that they don't have in common. Let's start with similarities. Erin, why don't you get the ball rolling?"

"Okay. So, we both...Right. So, we all...God, this is actually quite hard." Erin struggled to come up with something, looking around to try get some idea. "Anything at all, a small thing even." Peter added trying and failing to help the girl. "Okay, so...Right. God, I'm, actually, drawing a blank here, to be honest." Erin laughed to herself.

"Not to worry, someone else? A similarity? Yes." Peter moved on to ask Philip, Clare's half deaf partner. "Protestants are British and Catholics are Irish." He answered and received a lot of nodding of heads from most.

"So that's actually a difference.?Quite a... Quite a big difference. But that's Okay, we can write that down. Now, back to similarities." Peter went on to ask the teens to find similarities but everyone kept suggesting differences and there seemed to be a lot of them.

Getting fed up with the exercise he had planned out now not working he stopped it for a moment. "I want to just pause and think about what's in here. What about the fact that we all feel and love and hope and...Write this down. We all cry. We all laugh. We all dream.I just want to think along those lines, for a moment. Okay?"

"Catholics watch RTE!"

"Protestants love cleaning!"

The teens began shouting the differences again ignoring what Peter had said causing the board with 'differences' to become overflown with the things that divide the two and for the 'similarities' board to remain completely blank apart from the title itself being present.