10

USING ALL THE TOOLS they could find, all of them (minus Saoirse and Clare) began digging up the grave of Toto the dog

USING ALL THE TOOLS they could find, all of them (minus Saoirse and Clare) began digging up the grave of Toto the dog. On their hands and knees they rapidly dug trying to do it before anyone showed up and saw what they were doing.

"What's become of us? What has become of us?" Clare anxiously repeats as she paces a little watching her friends covered in dirt. "Keep an eye on that kitchen window, you." Erin grits through her teeth.

"I want no part of this." Clare says in a disaproving tone. "Well, you're in too deep now, Clare." Erin groans shoving the large shove in deeper. "We're stealing a body!" Clare screeched out.

The curly haired boy took it upon himself to stop the two blondes bickering. "Let's just get it over with, and never, ever speak of it again."

"Jesus Christ, my nails are fucking ruined." An angry Michelle stops digging looking at her nails furiously. "Less talking, more digging! Saoirse give us a hand, will you?" Erin turns to the girl who is against the fence boredly watching them.

"No, I'm alright, thanks." Saoirse shook her head just as Orla announced "I've got something!" She pulls a box out from the mud. "Give it here." Erin demands holding her hands out to take the box from Orla.

"Right. Me and Michelle go stash him somewhere, and the rest of you will fill it back in." Erin tells her friends while Michelle disapprovingly shakes her head.

Unknown to the six teens, Father Peter was storming towards them. "Open the box, Erin!" His voice frighting them causing Saoirse and Clare to jump towards their friends. Saoirse whacked Clare on the back of the head whispering "You were supposed to keep watch."

"Oh, God." The teens let out as they realised they had been caught in the act. "Yes, he is with us. Do not be afraid, child." Father Peter says pushing Erin to open the box.

Nervously, Erin opens the box slowly to reveal something that made the other teens gasp. It was empty. "Listen, I can--Oh no, actually, I can't. I can't explain." Erin stutters finally taking a look at the box.

Father Peter raises his hands in the air smiling. "Thanks be to God." He says excitedly. "Thanks be to God!" James repeats Father Peter's words and actions as Saoirse rolled her eyes.

The group moved the empty box into the Quinn's Kitchen and stood around staring at it. They were joined by Sister Micheal, Mary, Sarah, Gerry and Granda Joe, all cramped in together in the small kitchen.

"I don't understand it." Erin muttered with her hands on her hips. "The Lord's work is often difficult to comprehend." Father Peter tells the young girl.

"No, I mean I really, really don't understand it." Erin repeats herself. "I don't understand it either." Saoirse adds with furrowed brows eyeing a very suspicious Mary Quinn who was stood directly across from Saoirse.