Math Smarts

Verde was helping Uni with her homework. Specifically Math.
However, the final problem the teacher gave for extra credit left them both stumped:

________ ________ ________ ________

There were 2 boys who always bet on horse racing. They'd race up the hill and the other would always win in regular intervals. The 2 boys grew bored and irritated over this occurence.

So they decided on a new bet:
The one who's horse goes over the finish line in 2nd place would win the race. They told this to the entire village.
The villagers came to their race, interested how this would go.
The moment the signal was given...

Neither the two boys nor their horses moved from the starting line even an inch.
They stood frozen to the spot.

An old man came, asked what they were doing and told them: "I will whisper something to them and they shall be racing like the devil is on their heel."

The man went to whisper into each boy's ear and, when the startsignal was given again, the two were indeed racing like the devil was after them.

How did the old man do it?

________ _________ _________ _______

Verde tried finding an equation in the question and who won the race, thinking that was the real problem. He also tried to put it up as a real problem like the two boys and the time as variables and more, but he couldn't figure it out. He and Uni were mulling over the question continously until evening with both of their their brains basically smoking and steaming.

When Colonello attempted to help he thought his brain was gonna be fried just looking at the board with complex equations written on it and a muttering Lightning and Sky-child.
He was promptly dragged out by Lal who'd grabbed him by his leg, not caring if she injured the male who's head seemed to be turning pale and loosing even more of his braincells.

Fon went to get the two an IceTea to cool them down and make them take a break. Uni followed after him to take a break, but Verde was going positively crazy over the fact his genius couldn't solve a simple school question under an hour! He'd solved university questions faster than this!!

Then, at evening, around 6pm, Skull came up to the kitchen, having been in the garage the whole day listening to music and working on his motorcycle or gaming in an adjoined room.
The motor-oil on his suit being a testimony of that.

Though it hadn't been a secret nor would it have been a surprise to find him there. He'd basically claimed the garage the moment they started living in the mansion. It was like his own home base.

He cheerfully greeted Fon in his usual loud voice only to get a shoe thrown his way from the living room.

He blinked.

Seeing the mad scientist this frustrated and aggravated was news to the stuntman, considering he shouldn't be working on something new or on was near a deadline last time he heard.
That wasn't the only thing unusual though. The man was spewing profanities as fast as the hair he was tugging and almost ripping out from his scalp.

Skull turned to both Uni and Fon, who sat at the counter, as they were the only other people present and took a glass of IceTea. His expression was that of a confused puppy - wide eyes and head tilted to the side. He asked them for the reason behind the situation: "What's up with the grass to throw a shoe at the great Skull-sama?!"

—Sure, it sounded boisterous and rude, but only to an outsider. At present, the two had figured out that Skull addressing himself in third person was actually his own personality quirk and that he was actually quite forgetful - seeing how he called Verde by a nickname and not using the man's real name.
He wasn't being prideful, per se.
Telling that to Reborn was gonna be a bit troublesome, but even he would have to admit that it would make sense for the Cloud's cowardly and screw-up personality.