Had Enough

Skull was getting downgraded by Reborn for being his useless Lackey. Y'know, the usual stuff about his background as an Ex-Civilian, not doing shit and how literally any other Cloud could've sufficed for the job.

Even an inactive one.

The glaring Sun either didn't realise or didn't pay it any mind on how personally wounding it was to hear those words from him. Like the actual sun he was uncaring to those beneath him and to those deemed unimportant.

Skull hadn't responded to him once during his speech, his fists clenching and unclenching as if to throttle or break something hear it snap, make it hurt, let it bleed out, have it crying in agony and savour his dominance-

-Why was he in this setting again? He didn't know how often he'd been put through this; only that Reborn was often the other party.

They always tell him to "do better, do your damn job, don't be a nuisance - a hindrance."

But he always gave it his best.

Even now when he was a fucking infant, like WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK!? How else could he have hoped to survive in the Mafia? With Reborn pushing him off to the Carcassa?

Something ugly buried deep inside him twisted.

...Yeah, like that had helped. Thanks a bunch!

He'd thrown a civilian into a mansion full of murderers and honestly expected him to feel safe, to sleep peacefully and feel protected. And receiving compulsory training from them on how to Kill. Be ready for an ambush or poison anytime.

Yeah, no, that is totally not messed up.

And he's totally not under a lot of stress and dealing with a lot of personal issues cause 'they aren't important compared with whatever we're doing'.

Skull's thoughts were taking a nosedive, a deep one. They took a running start off the springboard, jumping into a salto and careening into a beautiful spiral twist into slipping into murky depths face first.

The fact that the transition was so smooth instead of explosive was maddening.

His conversation (?) partner, the world's greatest hitman had yet to notice, probably thinking it was his own, but there was a growing tension in the air - like a person's psyche ready to snap.

-----------------------

Verde felt on-edge in his secret oversized lab, Colonello suddenly got hiccups in Mafia Land, Lal looked around the CEDEF HQ suddenly warily, Fon felt apprehensive as if faced with I-Pin's explosive countdown and Mammon checked their mental barriers and money vaults repeatedly.

They had no idea they were all anxious because of the same thing. They also had no idea that Skull and Reborn were together or what they were doing right this moment.
The only thing they were sure of: whatever tipped them off was bad - the earthcore is about to explode-kind of bad.

Frankly, a catastrophe waiting to happen.

------------------------

"So you'll be a useless Lackey for life even if I try to train you.
You're even more useless than Dame-Dino as he at least becomes capable around his subordinates.
But you're a complete failure."

Tears pricked at Skull's eyes, hearing the incessant chatter of a demon's that bullied his ears and drummed around in his head like a fever. Why was Reborn doing this to him?

He had only ever had the uttermost respect for the hitman that could (easily) end his life if he wanted to, so why was he torturing him like this, long term? Was he unworthy of respect? Of being treated like a person, not a... a rock in a weapon store. A useless thing you see lying around with no purpose but to be kicked around. A tool in the shed that just stayed there during construction and was left behind, forgotten?