Part Twenty Three | The Truth

Everyone wanted to know exactly what happened between Pan and Eden. It was her biggest nightmare. Everyone was in her business wanting to know what she did to make Pan hate her so badly. All of them were begging her for the information as if it would help them find Henry any faster.

"You must know something that can help up."

"What did Pan mean when he was here?"

"You're keeping something from us."

As much as she wanted their taunts and tormenting to stop, it just wouldn't. She couldn't answer them. Pan wouldn't let her. He just let her sit there with her guilt and anger. Every time one of them spoke, each threat that left their mouths if she refused to tell them, it just made her more and more upset. If they knew the half of the truth, they'd stop treating her this way. She just couldn't take it anymore. So...

"Stop it! Just stop!" The girl yelled, her voice loud enough to echo through the forest.
"You don't know what you're talking about! You don't have even the slightest clue what he's done to me! If you treat me like I'm some sort of liar, then I'll just leave!"

Perhaps her leaving would be better. He couldn't use her to hurt them if she was miles away. Yet, as soon as she mentioned leaving, she felt a burning sensation in her chest. That wasn't what Pan wanted. And god forbid anyone acted according to anyone's will besides Peter Pans...

"If you won't talk, then I'll make you talk." Regina said. She loosened her balled fists, ringing out her hands. Eden rose from the ground, eyes narrowed on the Queen. 'Yes...' she thought to herself. 'Show them what I can't say...'. Pan wouldn't allow her to tell them the truth. But he couldn't control Regina's actions. No matter how brash or cruel they seemed.

The Queen raised her hand, preparing to rip Eden's heart out. But a familiar iron hook wrapped around her forearm, withholding her.
"Regina, don't! She's done nothing to you!" Killian yelled. His eyes were set on Regina, glaring daggers at her. Yet the woman felt not an ounce of remorse.

"Exactly my point. She's done nothing FOR me. I'm going to find my son." She spat. With a flick of her wrist, Hook was sent flying across the forest, landing on his back with a sharp inhale.

"Now enough of your games and whining. Let's do this. My way." Regina offered Eden a smug look, shoving her hand straight into her chest.

Eden's eyes widened. It stung like hellfire. Yet she didn't fight it. Her feet stayed planted into the forest ground. It was as if the pieces slowly connected for Regina. The raven haired woman was unable to find Eden's heart. Almost instantaneously, she knew what that meant. Yet she was unsure if it was a trick or not. The Evil Queen looked up at Eden's face, and her 'evil' heart stumbled a bit as she watched tears roll down the girls cheeks.

Empty. Betrayed. Abandoned. Abused... that's what she saw in Eden. Suddenly, Eden looked an awfully alarming amount like Regina when she was young. Regina pulled her hand back, Eden gasping. She put her hand over her chest.

"Regina..." Emma whispered, brows furrowed into a tight line. Everyone gathered near, Hook still wiping the mud off of himself from his 'fall' onto the ground.

"Pan has her heart." Regina said simply.

Eden let out a long sigh of relief. They knew. They knew, so they could help her... surely they wouldn't leave her to Pan... would they?

That relief faded quickly when Eden's breath hitched in her throat. Suddenly, she couldn't breathe. She couldn't speak at all. The world became darker by the second, fuzzy and black. She saw the concerned faces of those around her, but their concern did her no good. She collapsed onto the ground, the leaves doing nothing to cushion her fall.

Muffled yelled was all she could hear as consciousness faded. She wasn't dead. But was she really alive either? Her senses told her there was a fight happening around her, yet she could do nothing but lay on the ground, gasping desperately for air.

Until she felt familiar hands grab her and whisk her off the forest floor.

"You're more trouble than you're worth, little one." Pan.

Her eyes closed, body falling slack against the leader of the lost boys as they disappeared in a cloud of smoke together.

——————

A lost boy howling was the sound that woke her. Eden jumped as she awoke, sitting up a bit too quickly. She suddenly found herself dizzy, reaching for her heart that seemed to be pounding harder than the drums the lost boys were beating.

"Ow..." she muttered, holding her head. That was when she noticed the heavy chain clasped around her wrist. She stared at it momentarily before her eyes widened. She recalled the memories she had before the world faded away and knew, Pan had her again. Her heart, however, she didn't know where it was.

"I have a job for you." A sudden voice came from the shadow of the treehouse. Eden's head snapped in the direction it came from, glaring into the darkness until Pan emerged from it.

"I don't recall asking you for employment." Eden hissed. All her seething couldn't hide that she fell for her tricks again in the moonlight.

The look on Eden's face told her that he wasn't joking. He looked lethal, evil... terrifying. The boy she loved was gone. He was ridden with anger and rage. It buzzed when he was near. Neverland itself radiated with his fury.

"You will do what I ask of you. Or you will die tonight." He said, offering his ultimatum. It wasn't a choice. She knew that.

"I'm going to give you back your pathetic, broken little heart. And in return, to show your gratitude... you are going to help me prepare Henry for what comes next." He said. His voice was stern as ever. But there was that pesky hatred in it that didn't used to be there when he spoke to her.

Eden rattled the chain on her wrist and stood up. She couldn't do much of anything chained to a post in the treehouse.

"I would rather die than help you kill that poor boy. Go to hell, Peter. Burn like your mother."

Eden's words hit a spot in Pan. One he didn't like exposed. His weakness. She knew him too well. In the blink of an eye, he was in front of her. He grabbed her by her jaw, shoving her backwards into the wall behind her.

"Let me make this very, very clear. You'll help me with your heart. Or I'll use your heart to make you help me and then crush it." He spat. "I should kill you where you stand for what you just said... if I didn't have better plans for you... I would." He whispered, squeezing her face hard enough to leave a mark.

"Do you understand me, Eden? You obey, like a good girl, or you die." His smirk made her want to punch him in his mouth. He knew he was making her mad. But her heart had been broken too many times to count. She wouldn't let him hurt her anymore.

"Fine." Eden hissed, clenching her fists. Pan moved his face in closer, whispering just above her ear.

"Try again.. do you understand, Eden?" He smirked, silently awaiting her response. The girl glared into the wall, wishing with every fiber of her being she could escape from him.

"Yes, Pan. I understand." Eden told him. The words tasted like vinegar coming out. He offered her a chuckle, backing away to see his good work. Her face was red, hot with anger. He waved his hand, her heart appearing in his palm.

"I'll release you when I'm ready for you, little one." He shoved her heart back into her chest, not caring to be gentle, and then backed away.

"Rest up, Eden. You're going to play the part of your lifetime. Convince Henry. Convince me. You're a dead girl walking."

And he disappeared...

A/N:

heeeeeyyyyy.... how y'all doin?

popping in once every year or two to update 😭
I'm trying to update more yall, but I'm not gonna make empty promises. anywaaaaays slaaaay. let me know if you guys want me to keep writing in this book!