Chapter 25: sᴄᴀʀᴇᴅ

"I'm afraid I'll be a book that no one reads. Music that no one listens to anymore. I'm afraid I'll be abandoned like a movie playing in an empty theater."

― Tablo

I've never realized until now how many secrets my family has

After finding out about my father and Sarah I asked myself how come I never suspected anything. I've been way too naive and believed them.

There were many unanswered questions. Why are Sarah and my father in contact? Since when? Does my mother know? Is she involved too? Why didn't Sarah brag about it? Who is the woman my father is seeing? Why did he ask for money if he didn't need it? What did he do with it?

Zane was very kind and patient with me. He's been keeping me updated and I even helped him a few times with Sarah.

But even with all the information, I knew I felt like I knew nothing.

To think that I've been living in the dark for years and the ones who betrayed me were my own family, that's a whole other level of disappointment.

My new life at my cousin's house was good. She helped me get the bakery job and let me stay at her place and for that, I was more than grateful. I'll be forever indebted to her.

Of course, I paid her a part of my salary. I refused to stay there for free.

My relationship with Zane didn't change. We still talk almost daily. I wish we could facetime but for security reasons, we only talk by voice call.

I miss him a lot. The few weeks I spent with him made me feel whole. Being there with him felt like I was complete and didn't need anything else.

New message

ZeZe💜: Love, for the next two days I won't be able to text you. I'll tell you about it when it's over. I wanted to let you know that Sarah will be there too and a bunch of other drug addicts. I'd prefer to be in your arms now but I'll hold onto the promise that soon I'll be able to do that. I miss you a lot. 💜

Me: No worries ZeZe, please take care of yourself.

You can't get hurt alright? 💜💜

ZeZe 💜: Good night love 💜

Me: Good night 💜

He would always let me know when he disappears and can't contact me which I was grateful for. That way I would not worry that much wondering what he's doing or if anything bad happened.

A few weeks ago Zane asked me something that still has me thinking.

"KatKat, once this is over are you willing to come live with me in Canada?"