21

seungmin bit at his lip as he heard the sound of the lock on the door.

he stared at it as it opened and chan walked in first followed by minho, they closed and locked the door, bringing the food to the table where seungmin was sitting. he had a rule with himself to never speak first, he could usually tell what mood they were in based on what they said to him, if they were in a bad mood he had to be very careful what he said.

they put the container in front of him, followed by an empty cup. seungmin just looked at it, not sure what it was for.

"for when you drink."

seungmin nodded and got up, going to the sink and filling it with water, he sat back down.

they were never nice to him, but there was a big difference between when they were in a bad mood and when seungmin could tolerate them. they didn't seem too agressive or impatient, so seungmin wanted to ask his question.

"can i ask-"

"eat first, then maybe."

minho cut him off quickly.

seungmin just nodded and opened the container, he looked at the plain rice and few pieces of chicken. he picked up the plastic fork and started to eat.

as he ate he felt himself getting warm again, he wasn't sure why because he was usually cold all the time. he would rather be cold than feel hot and sweaty, he tried ignoring it and continued eating the food in front of him.

he finished relatively quickly, picking up his little cup and drinking the water. minho came to get the container and fork and seungmin handed him the cup too, thinking they wanted it back.

"it's to keep in here."

seungmin nodded again and put it back on the container.

"another thing." chan spoke up.

seungmin glanced over, looking at him, getting surprised when he pulled out a blue toothbrush and a tube of toothpaste.

he walked to the bathroom and put it on the sink then leaning on the doorframe and looking at seungmin.

"thank you."

seungmin knew he had to be grateful for everything and he was, a cup and hygiene products, he felt happy to get them.

"did you have a question?"

"yes."

"shoot."

"do you think, if i keep behaving, i... i might be able to have a real shower?"

"what??"

both of them looked curious but annoyed as if it was a stupid question.

"i really miss washing in hot water, a-and washing my hair too without getting water everywhere... just once i promise and i won't ask again."

chan looked at minho, both of them seemingly thinking about it.

"what shower are you thinking about?"

"upstairs."

"you mean you're asking to use our shower?" chan piped up quickly, putting emphasis on 'our'.

seungmin played with the hem of his shirt and nodded slowly.

"j-just once."

"i don't think that's a good idea." minho said to chan, shaking his head.

"why?" seungmin asked quickly.

"because if someone sees you in a window and recognises you, what then? we are going to get caught."

"i-i'll stay away from windows, i promise."

"no."

seungmin sighed and nodded, he figured it would be a no, he couldn't get mad at himself for asking. he really thought for a second they would say yes.

"we have something to talk to you about."

seungmin looked up again and nodded a bit.

"we are having a few friends from high school over here tomorrow, they are from out of town, they get here in the morning and they leave the day after, we plan on telling them that they can't come down here because there's rats down here, that's why we keep it locked. but that also means we can't come down here, what we can do is open the basement door and put food on the top step for you to come and get. locking and unlocking these doors takes too long for us to come down here and them not get suspicious."

"it means we are letting you out of this room, you can walk around the main basement without being confined to here."

seungmin nodded, listening carefully, honestly, just to be allowed out of his room in general was exciting.

"get up, we will show you how to get there."

seungmin did as he was told and followed chan and minho, they opened his room door and walked out. he cautiously followed, this was the first time he had seen out there. he noticed a lot of locks on his own door and a lot of locks on the basement door too, they took him out of that door and it looked like a casual basement.

there were a few boxes in the corner and some other stuff lying around but what seungmin was most interested in was the staircase. at the top of it was a door and he assumed that was the basement door. they took him up the stairs and showed him a string hanging from the ceiling.

"pull that and it turns the light on and off, there's not much going on down here but we will put food on this step for you to come and get."

they had seungmin come back down to the main basement and they both looked serious.

"obviously, it would come to mind to bang on the door or walls to try to get their attention. if you try to do that, you're in for a big punishment the second they leave and if you think that is bad," minho pointed at seungmin's cut and bruised eye and cheek "you really won't like being properly punished, so i suggest you don't try anything smart."

seungmin nodded, he didn't intend on it anyway, he knew he would get in a lot of trouble for it. he got hit, kicked and cut for talking back so he knew trying to blow their cover and escape would land him in a much worse situation.

"we'll lock you in tonight and bring you breakfast tomorrow morning, then we won't lock the doors behind us."

seungmin nodded again, taking everything in.

"can i ask one more thing?"

"what?"

"can i have a towel? even just a small one? i want to be able to wash my hair without making a big mess, i tried before but without a towel it drips everywhere."

"if you behave i'll bring one tomorrow." chan spoke up.

seungmin nodded and thanked them both.

"we're trusting you with this freedom, disobey us and you'll never see the light of day again, co-operate and things might look up for you."

=♡=