Chapter 1; Welcome To The Glade

Hazel opened her eyes and felt a cold metal floor underneath her. She was in some kind of metal box moving upwards quickly like an elevator. There were crates, baskets & barrels of water with her in the box. She looked down to see what she was wearing; it was a dark orange top with blue jeans. She didn't remember putting this on.
    My name is Hazel, thought Hazel.

    "Why can't I remember anything else? Where am I? Who am I?" said Hazel outloud.
    She slowly pulled her legs towards her body and tried to recall anything about her past, but to no avail. All she could remember was her name, Hazel. Then she started panicking and screaming.
    "HELP!" shouted Hazel.
    Suddenly, the box stopped moving and Hazel fell down.

    She started hearing voices from above and the doors at the top of the elevator started opening. Before she could react a tall, skinny boy jumped into the box. By the look he was giving her, you'd think that he'd never seen a girl before.
    "What do you see Newt?" shouted one of the boys.
    "It's a bloody girl!" he said with a British accent.
    "A girl?"
    "What does she look like?"
    "Is she hot?"
    "I call dibs!"
    "No one's calling dibs."
    "Let's get you out of here Greenie." said the boy offering me his hand out to Hazel and gratefully accepted it as she stood up slowly.
    God, he's hot! Calm down, Hazel. You've just met the guy, thought Hazel, mentally scolding herself.

    The blonde boy then pulled Hazel out of the box and helped her to her feet. Hazel took in her surroundings and saw a forest, a shelter and... Walls? There were four walls surrounding the entire area, but there was an opening. So out of instinct, she ran.
    "We've got a runner!"
    "Wow, she's fast."
    "SHE'S HEADED FOR THE SHUCKING MAZE!"
    "SOMEONE STOP HER!"

    Hazel ignored their comments and continued running. Suddenly, someone tackled her and she fell...

    Newt didn't really want to tackle her, but what was he supposed to do? She was running towards the maze.
    "Please get off me!" shouted Hazel, not bothering to hide the pain in her voice.
    "Oh, sorry," said Newt as he helped her stand up.
    "My name's Newt. Do you remember your name?" asked Newt.
    "I do, it's Hazel." she replied, smiling.
    She's beautiful, thought Newt as smiled to himself, taking in her features. Her long hair swayed in the breeze as her dark green eyes glinted with curiosity.
    "Sorry, but your not allowed to go in there." said Newt.

    "Why not?" asked Hazel.
    "Because it's dangerous out there." replied Newt, plainly.
    "Why can't I remember anything?" she asked.
    "Don't worry, it happens to all of us." assure Newt.
    "Where am I?" asked Hazel.
    "We call this place the Glade."

    Hazel could see a tall, muscular dark-skinned boy started walking towards them as Newt said that.
    "I'm Alby. What's your name Greenie?" asked the boy, Alby.
    "It's Hazel." she replied.
    "I was just going to give her the tour Alby." said Newt.
    "Good that, remember to tell her the rules." said Alby, before walking off.
    "Let's go Greenie." said Newt, gesturing for Hazel to follow him.
    "Okay, so... The Glade's cut into four sections. The Gardens, Blood House, Homestead & the Deadheads."

    "The Gardens is where we grow our crops." said Newt pointing at the corner where there we're fruit and trees growing. "The Blood House is where we raise and kill animals," He pointed at the small hut. "The Homestead is where we sleep and the Deadheads is a forest and there's a graveyard." He pointed to the shelter and the forest.

    "Come on, let's go meet the other Gladers." said Newt as they walked towards the Homestead.
    "Where are all the girls?" asked Hazel.
    "You're the first girl."
    "Oh, I didn't know that." said Hazel.
    Once they neared the Homestead, Newt could see Chuck sitting on his hammock.
    "Hey, Chuck," said Newt, walking towards him.
    "Hey, Newt," greeted Chuck. "Where's the new Greenie?"
    "Right here," said Newt, pointing to Hazel.
    "Hazel, meet Chuck. He was the Greenie before you." said Newt.

    "A girl?" asked Chuck looking surprised.
    "Yup, the first girl in the Glade." replied Newt. Chuck looked around twelve or thirteen year old, he had brown hair and blue eyes.
   What do I look like, wondered Hazel.
    "Chuck, watch over her for me. I have some work to do." said Newt.
    "Sure thing, Newt." replied Chuck as Newt started walking away.
    "Chuck, what do I look like?" ask Hazel.
    "You look fifteen or sixteen, and you have long wavy, hazel hair and dark green eyes." replied Chuck.

    "Let's go to the forest. I want to show you something." said Chuck walking towards the forest. They were in the middle of the forest when Hazel saw it. It was a huge treehouse with a tyre swing behind the treehouse.
    "No one ever comes here, because it's well hidden. I found this place already made when I was exploring the Glade." he explained.
    "Let's play on the swing for awhile." suggested Hazel.
    "Sure!" replied Chuck, jumping up and down.

    Newt left Hazel with Chuck to talk to Alby about the problem with the maze. Recently there had been many incidents of the Runners getting stung by Grevers. As Newt walked away from the homestead, he noticed that Chuck was taking her to the forest.
    He's probably going to show her to the treehouse we found in the middle of the forest, thought Newt.

    *After the gathering*

    Newt could see Chuck and Hazel walking out of the forest towards him as he exited the homestead. Newt looked down at his watch and checked the time.
    Ten minutes till the doors close. The Runners should be coming back now,  thought Newt.
    As if on cue the Minho (the Keeper of the Runners,) and Ben start jogging out of the maze.

-
Hey guys, I hope you like my story so far. As this is my first fanfiction I apologise in advance for future spelling mistakes or grammatical errors. If you have any feedback about my story, don't hesitate to tell me bc I'd love to hear them :) thank you for reading this and have a nice day!

- Alice xx