Chapter 26; Misfortune Events

I apologise in advance for my shitty writing for this chapter :( It seriously sucks... *sigh* The quote in the edit is an original quote by me.

-

    "There, all patched up." said Hazel, wiping her hands on a clean rag.
    "Thanks, Hazel." said the boy, smiling at her.
    "I didn't catch your name."
    "I'm Nicholas, but you can call me Nick." said the boy, winking flirtatiously.
    "It's nice to meet you, Nick."

    "Hey, do ya wanna have lunch with me after your shift's over?" asked Nick.
    "Nick, I'm sorry, but I already have a boyfriend." said Hazel, smiling sadly.
    "It's fine..."
    Then he walked out the room without another word.

****

    "Newt, please, you have to eat something." pleaded Hazel.
    She had finished her shift over an hour ago and she had been trying to get him to eat something since the start of their break.
    "What's wrong with him?" she heard Chuck whisper from behind them.
    "I don't know, why don't you go ask him?" replied Thomas.
    "I can hear every bloody word you guys are sayin," snapped Newt, then he muttered something under his breath.
    "What is wrong with you?" asked Chuck. "No offence, but you look like klunk."

    "The girl from the Box, she keeps groaning and mumbling in her sleep, but she won't wake up. Hazel and the Med-jacks're are doin' their best to feed her, but she's eatin' less and less each time."
    Hazel gave Newt a sad smile and rubbed his back comfortingly. Newt let out a long sigh, then shook his head. "Shuck it. But that's not what really has me buggin'."
    "Then what is?" asked Chuck.
    Newt narrowed his eyes and looked at one of the entrances to the Maze.
    "Alby and Minho," muttered Newt. "They should've been back hours ago."

    Hazel could never forget the look Newt gave her brother when he asked why they couldn't send others after them. Newt's expression changed to sheer horror. It eventually passed and Newt explained that sending out search parties were forbidden, but it was very obvious that he was terrified of the Maze.

****

    By dinner time, the rest of the Runners had already returned but Alby and Minho were still nowhere to be seen. Newt had forced the Gladers to go on get some of Frypan's hard-earned dinner but he insisted on watching out for the missing duo. Hazel reluctantly followed Newt's orders, but she was only able to eat a few bites before setting her plate down. Hazel pushed her plate away and and stood up, looking at one of the Maze doors. She couldn't stand acting like everything was alright whilst her -boyfriend was starving himself and her- friends were missing.

    She found Newt by the west door with Chuck and Thomas. He ran his hands throught his hair, pacing. Hazel's heart would usually skip a beat whenever he did that but this time was different, their friends were missing.
    "Where are they?" said Newt, his voice strained.
    "Why don't we send a search party?" Thomas suggested again.
    "Bloody he-" Newt started, before stopping himself and taking a deep breath. "We can't. Okay? Don't say it again. It's one hundred percent against the rules, especially with the buggin' Doors about to close."

    "But why?" Thomas persisted. "Won't the Grievers get them if they stay out there?"
    Hazel glanced at her brother nervously, hoping that he'd stop pestering Newt. But unfortunately, Thomas continued pressing Newt for answers. Newt finally had enough. He turned around to face Thomas, his face bright red and his eyes flamed with fury.
     "Shut your hole, Greenie!" he yelled. "Not even a bloody week you've been here! You think I wouldn't risk my life in a heartbeat to save those lugs?"
    "No... sorry... I-I didn't...mean..." stuttered Thomas, trailing off. Hazel sighed, she knew that her brother was just trying to help.