Chapter 4

The picture above is Hazel as a child.

-

    Darkness surrounded Hazel. She thought she had became blind when suddenly, everything around her started to come into focus. She was in a forest, not in the Glade. Then, Hazel saw a little girl sitting under the shade of a tree, reading a book. The girl looked around ten years old, at most eleven. But that was not what caught Hazel's attention... What she noticed was that the little girl looked like Hazel, but a younger version of her and shorter hair. Hazel called out to the girl but the little girl did not respond. Puzzled, Hazel walked up to the her and reached out to tap on the little girl's shoulder. But when she tried to touch the girl, her hand went right through the girl!
    This must be a dream, thought Hazel looking at the little girl.
    "Hazel!" shouted someone from  behind her.
    Hazel turned around and saw that there was a boy no older than thirteen years old walking up to the younger version of Hazel.
    That's strange... Did I know this boy, thought Hazel as she stared at the younger version of herself talking to the strange boy.
    "Hazel, your brother's looking for you." he said, clearly annoyed.
    "Reading a new book?" asked the boy smiling at the younger version of Hazel.
    "You know me so well." said the younger version of Hazel, smiling.
    "Come on, Hazel." said the boy, extending his hand for the little girl to hold.
    "Coming." said Hazel taking the boy's hand in hers before following him.

-

    Hazel woke up to the gentle tapping coming from the ceiling.
    Wow, what a dream, thought Hazel.
    She tried to sit up but then realised that she couldn't, she looked down and saw an arm wrapped around her waist, Newt's arm. She tried to get up but it was hard because of his arm around her. Eventually, she gave up and lay back down on the bed.

    "Hazel, wake up." said Newt.
    "Good morning."
    "Morning, Greenbean." replied Newt, sitting up.
    "What are we doing today?"
    "Jobs. We'll be gardening with Zart, he's the Keeper of the Gardens." explained Newt. "Come on, let's go see what Fry's made for breakfast."

-

    "Good Morning Chuck, Mornin' Minho." greeted Hazel -sitting next to Minho who was- sitting opposite Chuck.
    "Mornin' Hazel." said Chuck with his mouth full.
    "Mornin' Greenie." Said Minho taking a piece of Hazel's bacon.
    "Hey! Get your own bacon." exclaimed Hazel, poking Minho in the ribs.
    "Nah, it's faster this way. So what are ya doin' today?" said Minho eating the bacon."
    "I'm Gardening with Zart today, although running in the Maze sounds more fun than gardening."
    "Being a Runner is harder than it sounds. See you guys tonight." said Minho, getting up.

-

    "Greenie you'll be weeding the garden with Newt today." said Zart.
    "So, I guess I'll be stuck with you the entire day." said Hazel.
    "You say that as if it's I'm so bloody awful."
    "I'm kidding." said Hazel, playfully pushing him.

-

    "What's your job here?" asked Hazel.
    "I'm second in charge. I help Ably keep order here." said Newt uprooting another weed and then dropping it on the ground.
    "Are there any guys I should stay away from?"
    "Yeah, there's this one guy. His name's Gally, and he's a bloody slinthead." replied Newt, uprooting another weed.
    Newt and Hazel talked for the entire time they were weeding the gardens. And before Hazel knew it, Minho and Ben came running into the Glade through the West Door and it was time for dinner.

    Dinner consisted of vegetable stew and rice, courtesy of Frypan. After dinner Newt and I walked to the homestead to find Minho.
    "Hey, guys. How was your day?" asked Hazel.
    "Tiring. Gally had an argument with a Glader today, and it didn't end well." said Alby, getting up and walking towards the bonfire.
    "There he goes again. Always getting into fights." said Newt, rolling his eyes.
    "I don't see what's so bad about him."
    "Trust me, he's bloody awful." said Newt.

    "Just stay away from him Hazel." warned Minho.
    "You know, I'm not that bad once you get to know me." said a voice from behind us.
    I turned around and saw a tall, muscular guy with thick eyebrows standing next to the door.
    "Don't ya have somewhere else to be?" asked Newt, glaring at the guy.
    "Hey, I'm allowed to be here just as much as this shank." he retorted, pointing at Minho, who was sitting on a hammock next to us. To that Minho stood up and glared daggers at the guy. If looks could kill he'd would've been dead by now.

    "Anyway, I just wanted to meet the new Greenie. I'm Gally." He said, extending his hand out for me to shake.
    "Hazel." replied Hazel, smiling as she shook Gally's hand twice, before releasing his hand.
    "Come on, Hazel. Let's go." said Newt not taking his eyes off Gally.
    "Actually, I wanted to talk to Hazel privately. If that's alright with you." said Gally, looking at Hazel.

     "That is most certainly not bloody alright." said Newt with venom dripping in his voice.
    "It's fine, Newt. I'll be back in awhile. " said Hazel, placing her hand on his shoulder.
    "I don't trust him alone with you." muttered Minho.
    "So... Are ya' comin' or not, Greenie?" asked Gally, ignoring Minho's previous comment.
    "Sure, lead the way." said Hazel.

    After they had walked out of the homestead, Gally stopped walking and gestured for Hazel to follow him. They walked towards the forest, a few meters away from the deadheads, and then Gally stopped next to a tall tree.
    "What I'm gonna tell you is very important and you must promise not to tell anyone. Not even that slinthead Newt or Minho." said Gally in a serious tone.
    "I promise, Gally. What did you have to tell me that is SO important?" asked Hazel? emphasising on the 'so'.
    "I want to tell you that..."