Chapter 18; Be Mine?

Newt's heart flew to his mouth as Hazel bolted up.
    "Bloody Hell!" swore Newt, falling off the chair.
    "N-newt?" said Hazel, turning to face him, her voice barely over a whisper. Hazel looked awful, her eyes were puffy and she had tears streaming down her face. Her lips were chapped from dehydration and she had somehow managed to reopen the cut on her forehead.
    "I'm here, I'm here. It's alright." said Newt, standing up, and hugging her.
    "T-the M-maze, the G-griever." whimpered Hazel, shaking in Newt's embrace.

    "Shhhh. It's alright, you're safe now." said Newt, resting his chin on her head. It pained Newt to see Hazel like this. She was no longer that brave and confident girl that her knew, she was a broken girl. Newt's heart shattered into a million pieces as she cried into his shoulder.
    Okay WICKED now you've just crossed the bloody line, thought Newt angrily as he caressed Hazel's back.
Hazel shook ever harder in his arms, but then she stopped.

    "Hazel? Do you want something to drink?" asked Newt, looking down at Hazel.
    Hazel shook her head and started wheezing violently, she chuched her chest trying to get air into her lungs.
    "Hazel!" screamed Newt grabbing her by her shoulders.
    Shuck, she's having a panic attack, thought Newt.
    "Hazel, please don't hate me for what I'm going to do." begged Newt, cupping Hazel's chin with his left hand. He then dipped his head down and kissed her.

    Her lips were even sweeter and softer than Newt thought it would be. For a second Newt thought that Hazel wouldn't kiss back, but what happened next surprised him. Hazel kissed him back. Before he knew it, Newt had his right arm around her waist and his hand in long wavy her hair, kissing as if they had done it a thousand times before. The kiss wasn't rough or that passionate, but Newt thought it was the best thing that had ever happened to him. It lasted for a few seconds until they both had to pull back for air.

    "How... did you know... it would... work?" said Hazel, panting.
    "I've had a panic attack before, I learnt that holding your breath helps stop it. Sorry, I just didn't know how to get you to hold your breath." apologised Newt, blushing.
    Damn it, thought Hazel, shaking her head sadly.
    "It-it's alright. You were just trying to help." said Hazel.

    "We should probably- Ouch!" exclaimed Hazel flinching.
    "What happened? Are you okay?" asked Newt, looking concerned.
    "I'm fine, it's just... My head, it hurts." said Hazel touching the cut on her forehead.
    "We'd better get you cleaned up." said Newt standing up.

-

    A few minutes later, Hazel was standing in the makeshift bathroom in Newt's room. She had changed out of her dirty clothes into Newt's hoodie. Lucky for her, Newt was a bit taller than her and the hem of the hoodie fell right below her knees. She had tied her hair into a messy bun and let her bangs down, covering part of her face.
    I can't believe it took a panic attack to get him to kiss me, thought Hazel, touching her lips. She was deeply in love with Newt and thought that he loved her back.
    Apparently not, thought Hazel, walking out the door.

-

    Back outside the bathroom sat Newt on his bed.
    I'm such a bloody idiot, why the shuck didn't I tell her when I had the chance, thought Newt sighing angrily.
    I'm gonna do it, I'm gonna tell her when she walks out, thought Newt, glancing at the bathroom door.
    As if on cue, Hazel walked out of the bathroom wearing his hoodie.
    Damn, she looks even more beautiful, thought Newt gaping at Hazel.
    "Is something wrong?" asked Hazel, looking down at herself.