Chapter 19; Not Strong Anymore

Warning! This chapter might be triggering for some people, so read at your own risk.
-

   For once, the Glade was completely silent, save the crickets that were chipping. The moon was high in the night sky, preventing the Glade being in total darkness. But unfortunately, nothing good lasts long. A loud scream woke up Newt up from his dreamless sleep. And he immediately jumped out of bed and bolted out the door, headed towards Hazel's room. He opened the door to her room and found her trashing in her sleep, kicking and screaming. In a blink of an eye, Newt was by her side, attempting to wake her up.
    "Hazel! Hazel, wake up!" shouted Newt, shaking her.

    "It's alright Hazel, it was just a dream." said Newt, hugging her.
    "It felt so real." said Hazel, crying, with her head on Newt's shoulder.
    "Shhhh. It's alright, nothing's gonna hurt you while I'm here." whispered
    "I'm sorry I woke you up." said Hazel, wiping her eyes.
    "It's fine. Do you wanna go back to sleep now?" asked Newt.
    "I don't think I'll be able to sleep with all the nightmares keeping me awake." said Hazel, sniffing.
    "Do you want me to stay with you?" asked Newt as he tucked a strand of hair behind Hazel's ear.

    "Yes please." said Hazel, scooting closer to the wall.
    Newt climbed onto her bed and wrapped his arms protectively around Hazel's waist.
    "Sleep," says Newt. "I'll fight the bloody nightmares off if they come to get you."
    "With what?" asked Hazel, snuggling in Newt's embrace.
    "My bare hands, obviously." answered Newt.
    "Go to sleep Newt." whispered Hazel, laughing.
    "Goodnight, my dearest Hazel." said Newt.
    "Goodnight, Newtie." replied Hazel.

-

    Hazel woke up the next morning with Newt's arms still around her waist. She felt Newt stirring and turned around so that she was facing him.
    "Good morning." said Newt, pecking Hazel on the lips.
    "Good morning to you too." replied Hazel, gigging.
    "Are you feeling better?" asked Newt as he drew shapes on Hazel's arm.
    "Yup, but I'm still a bit sleepy." said Hazel, yawning.
    "I'd love to lay here on your bed with you all day, but I have to help Alby with something. Are you alright with being by yourself today, or do you want me to ask Gally or Nathan to keep you company?" asked Newt.

    "It's alright, I'll be fine." said Hazel.
    "I love you." said Newt kissing Hazel forehead.
    "Love you too." said Hazel, smiling as she watched Newt walk out the door.
    This day cannot get any better than this, thought Hazel touching her lips.
    That was the last thing she thought of before she dozed off into a not so peaceful sleep.

-

    In her dream Hazel was being chased by Grievers in the maze again. She made a sharp right turn and narrowly missed a Griever claw that came down next to her.
    No, no, no, no, not again, thought Hazel. As if things couldn't get any worse, the walls started closing in on her.
    "Oh Shuck!" shouted Hazel, picking up speed.
    Within a few minutes, she was trapped in a dead end, and the Grievers were closing in on her.
    "This is it," thought Hazel crying. "I'm going to die."
    Then the nearest Griever roared and lunged at her.

-

    Hazel bolted upright and started breathing heavily.
    Oh shuck, not another panic attack, thought Hazel, clutching her chest.
    She curled up into a ball and tried to get as much air as she could into her lungs. At the corner of her eye she spotted a pen knife, sticking out from under the bed.
    It must've dropped out of Newt's pocket last night, thought Hazel. Why did he even have a pen knife?
    It doesn't Shucking matter! Just use the blade to distract you from the panic attack, yelled her subconscious.