Chapter 21; The Greenie

Newt woke up the next morning, expecting to see Hazel asleep on the bed next to him. But she was still unconscious, in the Med Jack's hut. Newt felt his heart ache, he felt so empty without Hazel in his arms. Sighing, Newt got off the bed and walked out the door, headed for the Med Jack's hut. He was halfway there when Minho stepped in front of him.
    "Oh no you don't," said Minho, crossing his arms. "You're not stepping into that hut until you get something to eat."
    "What makes you think I haven't eaten yet?" asked Newt.

    Minho gave Newt a 'seriously? I know you better than that' look and Newt immediately shut up.
    "Fine, you win, again." said Newt, raising his hands in surrender.
    "As always. I gotta go now, see ya when I get back from the Maze." said Minho, jogging off towards Nathan, who was waiting next to the West door.

    "Here you go." said Frypan, handing Newt a paper bag.
    "Thanks Fry." said Newt -taking the paper bag- walking out the door.
    "Anytime!" shouted Frypan from the kitchen.
    Newt rummaged through the bag and took out a container filled with mini sandwiches. He ate his food in silence, glancing at Hazel every now and then. He was about to get up to throw the paper bag away when Alby walked into the room.
    "Hey, Newt." greeted Alby, nodding his head.

    "Hey, what brings you here?" asked Newt as he threw the paper bag into the bin.
    "Normally, I'd give you a day off considering what happened to Hazel last night, but I really need you to help out with the Greenie that's coming later." said Alby. "Is that alright with you?"
    "Yeah, that's fine." replied Newt, not taking his eyes off Hazel.
    "How are you Newt?" asked Alby.
    "I'm fine." replied Newt nonchalantly.

    "Newt, don't give me that klunk. You and I both know that you're not "fine"." said Alby, rolling his eyes at Newt's stubbornness.
    But Newt only responded with a grunt.
    "Newt, you know that you can always come to me if you wanna talk, right?" asked Alby.

    "I know, thanks-"
    Newt was cut off by a booming, ringing alarm that sounded. The alarm clanged through the air, causing Newt and Alby to cover their ears with their hands. The alarm cut off abruptly and the Glade was left in eerie silence.
    "Well, it won't be long until a Greenie comes out of the Box." said Alby, patting Newt on the back.
    "We'd better get ready." said Newt, getting up.
    "Good that. Let's go." said Alby, walking out the door with Newt right behind him.

    A muffled boom sounded, announced that the Box had arrived, which caused a group of Gladers to crowd around the Box. Newt and Alby took positions on opposite sides of the shaft doors as they had done the month before. Simple hook-handles were attached on both sides, and together Newt and Alby yanked them apart. With a metallic scrape the doors opened, causing a puff of dust from to surround the air around them.

-

    Something about the Greenie seemed familiar to Gally and he couldn't shake the feeling that he knew the boy.
    "Gally come on up, Hazel's awake!" shouted a Newt from upstairs.
    Gally bolted up the stairs, taking three steps at a time, trying to get up as soon as possible.
    "She's in the room down the hall." said Newt, answering the question Gally was about to ask.
    Gally quickly thanked Newt, then ran towards the room Hazel was in.
    "Hey, Gally." greeted Hazel, waving to Gally as he entered the room. Hazel lay on a cot, leaning against the small pile of pillows supporting her to stay upright.

    "Hey, Hazel. How are ya feeling?" asked Gally, tucking a strand of hair behind Hazel's ear affectionately.
    "Much better thanks." said Hazel, touching her head.
    "I wished that you would've told me earlier, then this could've been prevented." said Gally.
    "I'm sorry I didn't tell you, it was never my intention to hurt you, or Newt." said Hazel sadly.
    "I know, I just-"
    Gally haven't even finished his sentience when a piercing scream ripped through the air, taking Hazel by surprise.

    "What was that?" asked Hazel, her eyes widening in shock.
    "That Hazel, was Ben." replied Gally.
    "Ben?! What happened to him? Is he alright? I need to see him." said Hazel, trying to get up.
    "Not now, you're in no shape to be walkin' around. You need to rest." said Gally sternly.
    "But-"
    "No "but"s, it's for your own good." interrupted Gally.
    "What happened to him?" asked Hazel, hugging her knees.
    "He got stung." answered Gally nonchalantly.

    Hazel flinched at that word, Ben was one of her good friends, the only other person that Minho and Newt trusted -other than Nathan- to take care of her when she first became a Runner.
    "He's gonna be alright Hazel, he'll be fine in a day or two." said Gally, trying to comfort Hazel.
    "Yeah, you're right. I just can't shake the feeling that something bad's gonna happen." said Hazel, shaking her head.
    "You and me both." mumbled Gally under his breath.
    "What was that?" asked Hazel, furrowing her eyebrows.
    "Nothing. I'm gonna go downstairs for awhile. I'll be back soon." said Gally, kissing Hazel's forehead.

    "Hey, look, it's the Greenbean," Hazel heard Gally say as he walked down the stairs.
    Oh! So the Greenie's finally here, thought Hazel, sitting up.
    She could hear Gally's voice and other voices talking to the Greenie.
    Gally's builders probably. Poor boy, I hope Gally and his friends won't be too harsh to the Greenie thought Hazel, sighing.
    Hazel knew that Gally was the Glade's bully, but because of their past together, Gally was never mean to her. Hazel strained her ears and tried to listen in on the conversation occurring downstairs.

    Hazel could hear the boys laughing loudly downstairs. All of a sudden Hazel heard a door slam shut, then Alby started shouting.
    "What are you doing up here, Greenie?" Hazel heard Alby yell.
    That's it, I need to know what's going on, thought Hazel, getting off the cot.
    "I'll throw you off the Cliff myself, you get me?" Hazel heard Alby shout as she opened the door with a loud creak.
    Next to the staircase stood Newt, Alby, and a brown-haired boy. Newt was the first of the three to notice Hazel. He shot Hazel a disappointed look and scolded her saying, "Hazel, what did I just tell you? Go back to your room, you shouldn't be up."
    "Newt? Alby? What's going on?" asked Hazel, ignoring Newt as she walked towards them, leaning against the wall for support.

    "Nothing, Hazel. The Greenie was just being difficult. Newt's right, you shouldn't be up." said Alby, trying, and failing to hide his anger.
    At the moment the brown-haired decided to turn around to face Hazel.
Hazel hand flew to her mouth and she almost lost her footing as she did that.
    "Thomas..." gasped Hazel.

-
Cliffhanger... Yay, I've finally introduced Thomas! What do you guys think Alby and Newt will do next? I can't wait to update the next chapter, hopefully I'll be able to post it by tomorrow. What do you guys think, should I update more often?

I hope you guys liked this chapter. I'm gonna stop writing now, because it's currently 2.12 am and I'm still awake... Oh well, Goodnight guys (or Good Morning XD ), peace out! ✌

Rate, comment, vote, do whatever you want :)

-Alice xx