Chapter 14; Stung

"Hazel? Hazel, can you here me? Minho, take her pulse." croaked Nathan, crouching next to Hazel's bleeding figure, taking her hand in his.
    "She's alive! She's still breathing, but pulse is weak." said Minho, taking her pulse. At that moment Hazel coughed out blood, she opened her eyes for a few seconds before passing out again.
    "She's been stung. We need to get her back to the Glade now," said Minho. "Nathan, help me lift her up."
    "Okay," said Nathan lifting up Hazel's lifeless body onto Minho's back.

    "You're pretty light for a Runner." said Minho, shifting Hazel in his arms.
    What's Newt gonna say when he sees her, thought Nathan.
Hazel had cuts all over her body, and she had a deep gash on her forehead, which was bleeding profusely.
    "Is she gonna make it?" asked Nathan as they turned around the corner.
    "Of course she'll make it. I refuse to believe otherwise." said Minho, slowing down to a jog.

    "It's been twenty-five minutes, they should be back by now." said Gally, pacing back and forth.
    "Relax, it's Minho, he'll bring her back." said Newt, confidently.
    In what condition, I cannot say, added Newt silently.
    "Yeah, Minho and Nathan'll bring her back." added Chuck.
    "I know but- Wait, I see them!" exclaimed Gally squinting at the Maze doors.
    "It's about bloody time." said Newt, jogging towards the three blurry figures.

    "And who's the one who said 'relax'?" asked Gally, running after him, with Chuck on his tail.
    "Get the Med-Jacks!" shouted Nathan, running behind Minho.
    "Chuck go find Jeff and Clint." said Nathan.
    "What happened?" asked Newt, looking at Hazel's injuries.
    "She's been stung." replied Minho, handing Hazel to Newt.
    "Okay, Nathan, I need you to help me get her to the Med-Jack's hut." said Newt. Nathan nodded his head saying, "Okay, on three..."

    "She's gonna be okay, she just lost a lot of blood in the Maze." said Jeff, cleaning off the dried blood on her forehead. When Nathan and Newt walked into the room with Hazel passed out in their arms, Jeff and Clint sprang into action. As Jeff disinfected Hazel's cuts, Clint checked her injuries.
    "How bad is it?" asked Gally, glancing at Hazel every few seconds.
    "Well, other than a sprained ankle, she also hit her head pretty hard, so she might have a minor concussion." said Clint as he passed Jeff the salve.

    "But she'll wake up right?" asked Newt.
    "Yeah, but I'm sorry, I can't really tell when she'll wake up." replied Jeff apologetically.
    "It's alright Jeff, thanks for helping her." said Newt.
    "Clint and I are going for our lunch break now, do you wanna stay here with Hazel?" asked Jeff, standing up.
    "Yeah, I'm gonna stay with her." stated Newt grabbing a chair to sit on.
    "Do you want me to bring you back somethin' to eat?" asked Clint.
    "Nah, I'm good." replied Newt, pushing the chair nearer to Hazel's bed.

    "If you say so." said Clint, pushing back the curtains which separated Hazel's cot from the other cots. Newt stayed by Hazel's bedside for the rest of the day, not leaving to eat anything. Gally wasn't doing so well either, he had isolated himself in his room for the entire day, refusing to come out for anything.

-

    The next morning Alby walked into the hut to find Newt asleep on a chair, seated next to Hazel. "Newt," said Alby shaking Newt lightly on the shoulder. "Come on, you gotta eat something."
    "I'm not hungry." mumbled Newt, rubbing his eyes.
    "You and I both know that's not true." said Alby.
    "I said I'm bloody fine!" shouted Newt, resulting in Ably flinching. Newt, seeing the hurt look in Alby's eyes then rushed to amend his outburst by saying, "I'm sorry, I know you mean well, I just-" paused Newt taking a deep breath.

    "I'm just so bloody worried about Hazel. What if she never wakes up? It'll be all my fault."  "I know you're worried Newt, we're all worried. But you've got to eat something." said Alby. Newt looked at Hazel's sleeping body, then mumbled, "Okay, fine, but I'm staying here."
    "Great, I'll have someone bring you somethin' to eat." said Alby getting up. After Alby had left the room Newt turned back to facing Hazel. He tucked a strand of Hazel's wavy hair behind her ear and sighed loudly.

     "This is all my fault, I'm sorry Hazel." said Newt, kissing her forehead gently. Ten minutes later, Gally walked into the room carrying a plate of rice, with some vegetables and meat on the plate.
    "Thanks, Gally." said Newt taking the plate from him.
    "Don't mention it." replied Gally.
    "How is she?" asked Gally, leaning against the wall.
    "She's fine, she went though the changing last night but she's okay now." said Newt, swallowing a mouthful of food. His summary was replied with silence from Gally.

    "Minho wanted to come, but Alby told him to go into the Maze with Nathan," said Gally after a few seconds of silence. "I bet they're lookin' for the Griever that hurt Hazel."
    "They're bloody idiots, but it's nice to know that those shanks care," said Newt pausing when Gally held a hand up.
    "Listen Newt, I know you and I aren't on the best of terms but I'm willing to bury the hatchet for Hazel's sake." said Gally.
    "I'd like that." said Newt putting down the empty plate on the table.

    "Well, I'll leave you alone two now." said Gally opening the room door.
    "Hey Gally. Thanks again." said Newt, calling after Gally.
    "Like I said, I'm doing this for Hazel." repeated Gally leaving the room.

-

    "Newt, you've got to sleep." said Minho, frowning at his friend.
    "I'm perfectly fine sleeping here." said Newt gesturing to the chair.
    "I mean sleep on an actual bed. Come on, you think I can't see those eyebags under your eyes, or the way you're skipping your meals?" asked Minho with a concerned look.
    "I just prefer sleeping here, that way I'll be the first to know when she's awake." answered Newt, slumping his shoulders.
    "Just rest in your room for one day. If she wakes up I'll personally tell you." said Minho.

    "I don't know..." said Newt, unconvinced.
    "If you don't, so help me I'll lock you in your room and tie you to your bed." said Minho crossing his arms.
    "Fine, fine, I'm going." said Newt, heading for the door and throwing up his arms in defeat.
    "But what if sh-" began Newt, turning around.
    "Leave!" said Minho, pushing Newt out the room, cutting him off. Minho shaked his and collapsed onto the chair in exhaustion. "Man," sighed Minho. "I don't know how you can stand him Hazel, he's is so shucking stubborn."