Chapter 10; First Time In The Maze

When Minho and Hazel entered the maze Hazel took in every little detail of the inside of the maze. She noticed that there were vines growing along the maze walls. The vines were of a dark green shade and had rope-like appearance. She was about to ask if anyone had ever tried climbing the vines when Minho slowed down to a jog, then, stopped entirely.
     "Let's take a break now." said Minho opening his bagpack taking out his water bottle.
     "Sure." said Hazel leaning against the maze wall.
    "You're doing pretty good for a Greenie, the other Gladers would've klinked their pants by now." said Minho in between sips.

    "I guess I'm just really excited. After all, it's not everyday a Greenie gets to run in the maze." stated Hazel wiping the sweat that accumulated on her face.
    "Well, you got that right." said Minho placing the bottle back into his bagpack.
    "Has anyone tried climbing the vines?" blurted Hazel out of nowhere.
    "What?" asked Minho looking up at her.
    "I said, has anyone tried climbing up the vines?" repeated Hazel.
    "Yeah, someone tried it." said Minho in monotone voice.
    "What happened?" queried Hazel. But her reply was only an eerie silence.

    "Minho?"
    "What is it Greenbean?" asked Minho, wiping his face.
    "I was just wondering..." trailed Hazel, hesitant to finish her sentence.
    "Yeah?" said Minho raising his brows.
    "I was wondering, why does Newt have a limp?"
    "Okay, that's enough shucking questions for today. For now, let's just stick to running, alright?" said Minho quickly as if he wanted to avoid the subject of Newt's limp entirely.
    I must've hit a nerve, thought Hazel nodding her head.

    After their little break, Minho and Hazel continued running, with Minho leading the way and Hazel right behind him. Minho occasionally turned back to check on Hazel, to see if she was still there. Their day was long and tiring, with all the running and stopping every now and then for a short break. Before Hazel knew it, it was getting late and the doors would be closing soon. After awhile, Minho looked at the late afternoon sky and noticed that the sun was close to setting, he then faced Hazel and said "We'd better be heading back now."

    At that Hazel looked up at the sky, which was getting a darker shade of blue with each passing minute.
    "Race ya?" asked Hazel, causing Minho to turn and face her.
    "You sure bout that Greenie? I've been a Runner longer than you've been here." said Minho.
     "What you don't think you can beat a Greenie?" asked Hazel smirking.
    "Oh, you're on, Greenie!" replied Minho smirking. "On my mark," said Minho raising up his right hand. "Get set." said Minho raising his hand up higher. "Go!" shouted Minho sprinting, with Hazel right behind him.

    Hazel knew that they were getting closer to the Glade when she heard the familiar crackling sound of fire, and the smell of Frypan's famous stew wafting in the air. As Minho and Hazel neared the entrance of the Glade, Hazel could see a silhouette of two people standing by the maze doors.
   Newt and Gally, thought Hazel smiling. At the sight of them Hazel's increased her speed and easily overtook Minho. She kept on running until she reached the entrance of the Glade, then slowed to a stop.

    "How's that for a Greenie?" said Hazel, smirking at Minho, who had just ran past the maze doors.
    "Wow Minho, you lost, to a girl." said Gally, smirking as he shook his head.
    "So how was your first day as a Runner?" asked Newt, speaking for the first time since Hazel got back.
    "It's more interesting than being a Med Jack, that's for sure." said Hazel using the back of her hand to wipe her forehead.
    "So are you gonna be an official Runner?" asked Minho causing Newt and Gally's attention to be on her.

     Newt had hoped that she would say no to Minho and continue being a Med Jack, but what she did next was totally unexpected. She said yes. Newt saw the excitement and thirst for adventure gleaming in her eyes as she answered Minho without any hesitation. His heart shattered and he was walked away from them and headed to the deadheads. Hazel stared at Newt as he stalked over to the forest.
    "Was it something I said?" asked Hazel looking at Minho questioningly.
    "I'll go talk to him." said Minho chasing after his friend.

    Newt was sitting next to the graves of the dead Gladers, he couldn't bear to think of Hazel going into the maze every single day. It had been a long while since Newt had run off and the sun had already set.
    What if she was killed? What if Minho wasn't there to protect her? What if-
   He lost his train of thought when he heard someone calling his name.
    "Newt!" shouted Minho walking towards the deadheads frantically looking around for his friend.
    "Ne-" he stopped half way when he saw Newt sitting next to a grave with his head in his hands.

    Minho rushed forward to comfort his friend.
    "Newt? What's wrong? Come on Newt, you know you can tell me anything." said Minho comforting his best friend.
    "Newt, is this-"
     "Hazel can't be a Runner. It's too dangerous." interrupted Newt.
    "Is that what's this is all about? Newt, I'll personally be with her at all times. She'll be perfectly saf-"
    "Will she? Can you guarantee her safety? Can you guarantee that she won't get hurt or even killed?" said Newt cutting Minho off again.

    Only at that time, Minho realised that Newt was crying, his eyes were red and he had tears streaming down his face.
    "Newt, what is this really about?" asked Minho.
    "There's a reason we voted for her not to be a Runner, surely you of all people must know that." said Newt turning to face his friend.
    "Newt, be honest with me, what's this really all about?"
    "I can't lose her Minho. I think..." said Newt, pausing to wipe the tears off his face.
    "I think I love her."