Chapter 29; He's back

Hazel was dumbfounded. Everything would be different now. No sun, no supplies, no protection from the shucking Grievers.
    Alby pointed at Teresa. "I want her locked up. Now. Billy! Jackson! Put her in the Slammer, and ignore every word that comes out of her shuck mouth."
    Teresa didn't react. But Thomas did enough for the both of them. "Alby, what are you talking about? You can't-" He stopped when Alby gave him a death glare. "But... How could you possibly blame her for the walls not closing?"

    Newt stepped up, gently placed a hand on Alby's chest and pushed him back. "How could we not, Tommy? She bloody admitted it herself."
    "Just be glad that you ain't goin' with her, Thomas." said Alby, giving Teresa and Hazel's brother one last glare before leaving.
    Billy and Jackson came forward and grabbed Teresa by both arms, escorting her to the Slammer.
    Before they could re-enter the forest, Newt stopped them. "Stay with her. I don't care what happens, no one's gonna lay a shuckin' finger on this girl. Swear your lives on it."

    The two guards nodded, then walked away with Teresa in tow. Hazel glanced at her brother, then back at Teresa. She could tell that they were having a telepathic conversion. She didn't know how she knew, it was just a feeling that she'd get.

    The next thirty minutes were an eruption of mass confusion. Newt and Alby had made the Keepers in charge of making assignments. Jeff was packing up the medicine and Hazel was packing up the first-aid kits and ointments. Clint, the Keeper of the Med-Jacks, had to make sure that his group -Jeff and Hazel- got inside the Homestead within that short hour.
    "Hazel!" shouted Clint, standing beside the open door. "Jeff and I are going to help the other Keepers. Be sure to get inside the Homestead after you're done here, Okay?"
    "Sure, Clint." replied Hazel.

    After Hazel had emptied out the last cabinet she picked up the boxes of first-aid kits and walked out the door. As she made her way to the. Homestead, she spotted Newt talking to her brother.
    Thomas, just the person I need to talk to, thought Hazel, approaching the them.
   VBy the time Hazel reached the two boys, Thomas had already ran off.
    "Newt, where'd Thomas go?" asked Hazel.

    "He left to find the girl." replied Newt.
    "Can you give this to Clint for me please? I need to speak to Thomas." said Hazel, handing the boxes to Newt.
    "Make sure you get to the Homestead before they barricade the doors for the night, love." replied Newt, pecking Hazel on the lips.
    "Thanks, Newt." replied Hazel, walking off to find her brother.

    Hazel sprinted towards the Slammer, along the back of the Homestead. She ran past a corner and bumped into something, or should I say, someone.
    "Oof!" exclaimed Hazel, falling.
    "Woah! Are you okay, sis?" asked Thomas, helping her up.
    "I'm alright, I just need to tell you something." said Hazel.
    "Can it wait?"
    "Trust me, you don't want other people to know." said Hazel.
    "Wha-"

    "I know that you and Teresa are telepathic." she blurted out.
    "How...?"
    Because I can do it too, answered Hazel in Thomas's mind.
    Thomas's jaw dropped.
    "It doesn't always work. I just get little bits and pieces sometime, like I heard Teresa talking to you in your mind."
    "When did you find out?"
Hazel opened her mouth to explain but another voice interrupted her.

    "Thomas! Hazel!" exclaimed Newt, grabbing Hazel's hand in his. "What are you guys still doing here?! Get back to the bloody Homestead, the doors are about to close."
    "I'll tell you later" mouthed Hazel, following Newt back to the Homestead.
    Hazel turned around the corner towards the front door of the Homestead, just as the last couple Gladers were entering. Thomas stepped inside as well, followed by Hazel, then Newt who closed the door behind him.
    Just before the door latched shut, Hazel could've sworn that she heard the first hair-raising groan of the Grievers, coming from somewhere deep inside the Maze.
    The night had begun.