Chapter 31; The Fire

Someone shook Hazel awake. Her eyes snapped open to see someone towering over her.
    "Hazel, are you alright?" asked Newt, concern written all over his face.
    "Other than the throbbing pain in my head, I'm completely fine." replied Hazel, wincing as she stood up.
    Hazel placed her hand on her forehead and felt a warm, sticky liquid. It was blood.
    "Where are the others?" asked Hazel, wiping the blood off her hand and onto her pants.

    "They're outside. Let's get ourselves cleaned up first." said Newt as he snaked his arm around Hazel's waist and carried her over to the bed.
    "The first-aid kit is in the top drawer." said Hazel as Newt walked over to the wooden dresser.

****

    "Done." said Newt, throwing the bloody rag onto the ground.
    "Okay, your turn." said Hazel.
    "This might sting a bit." warned Hazel as she lifted the rag up to his head.
    She placed her hand at the back of Newt's head and gently wiped the blood off his temple.
    Hazel then placed a clean towel on Newt's wound."You'll have to hold it there for awhile."

    "Thanks, love." said Newt, smiling as he moved his hand to the towel, keeping it in place.
    Hazel stood up and walked over to the door. "Come on, let's go find the others."
    The Homestead was in chaos. The Gladers ran about, talking all at once. Lights blazed throughout all the rooms. At the corner of her eye, Hazel spotted a blurry figure running down the stairs, headed towards the Maze Doors. It only took her half a second to realise who it was.

    "Newt," exclaimed Hazel, pointing at her brother. "We have to stop Thomas from going back into the Maze again!"
    "You stop him," said Newt. "I have to check on Alby, make sure the shank's alright."
   "Okay, I'll meet you at the Maze Doors!" yelled Hazel, running down the stairs, headed towards her brother.

****

    "Thomas!" shouted Newt as he neared the West Doors. " What the bloody hell are you doing?"
    "Minho followed it out there!" Thomas yelled when Newt had caught up to him, Newt had a small towel pressed against the wound on his head. A patch of blood had already seeped through the white material.

    "Yeah, I saw." said Newt, pulling the towel away to inspect it; he grimaced and put it back over the wound. "Shuck it, that hurts like a mother. Minho must've finally lost it - not to mention Gally. I always knew that shank was crazy."
    "Newt!" exclaimed Hazel, hitting her boyfriend on the chest.
    "What? It's true." stated Newt.
    "I'm going after him." said Thomas, interrupting the couple's conversation.

    "Being a bloody hero again?" asked Newt, his attention back to Thomas.
    Thomas look at Newt sharply, hurt by the older boy's rebuke. "You think I do things to impress you shanks? Please. All I care about is getting out of here."
    "Yeah, well, you're a regular toughie. But right now we've got worse problems."

    "What?" Thomas knew that if he wanted to catch up to Minho he'd have to leave now.
    "Somebody-" he began.
    "There he is!" shouted Thomas, cutting Newt off. Minho had just turned a corner up ahead and was coming straight for them. Thomas cupped his hands over his mouth. "What were you doing, idiot?"

    Hazel rolled her eyes, annoyed at the boys.
    Minho waited until he made it past the Doors, then bent over, hands on his knees, and sucked in a few deep breaths before answering. "I just... Wanted to... Make sure..."
    "Make sure of what?" asked Newt. "Lotta good you'd be if you were taken with Gally."
    Now that got Hazel's attention.
    "What?!" she cried out.